DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson MBA

by DrWales » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 am
Hello guys,

I'm am experiencing a really happy problem, having to choose between Fuqua or Anderson.

My background:

I worked on investment banking for 4 years and 1 on a real estate developer.
I am from LatinAmerica and it would be great after the MBA to land a job on USA.

I am happy to explore jobs on Real Estate, Tech or Banking (asset management o inv. banking)

In favor for DUKE I feel that:
1) Has a better Brand that UCLA and have the chance to land a job throughout USA while UCLA I see it more centered on California only.
2) Stronger Alumni Network (TEAM FUQUA BRAND), even though Anderson has a strong alumni network too.
3) GATE initiative will help me open my mind to new cultures.
4) Finance Certificate and interesting concentrations to follow.
5) Better Ranked (if that matters...)
6) Very focused on Consulting jobs.

In Favor of UCLA I feel that:
1) Great Real Estate background, with the RE Center, RE Association, RE Career Path and LA being a prime location for that
2) Great Tech Background, with the Tech Association, Tech Career Path and California being a naturally tech market.
3) I feel that could be a weaker in the finance than Duke.
4) More people landing jobs on my actual area interest.

In General
1) LA I feel it more attractive to live but my wife feels Durham.. so it is a match.
2) In LA I feel that there are more jobs opportunities for my wife (en eventually me part time while studying) than on Durham.
3) In the scenario of wanting to move Out California, maybe the Duke Brand is stronger (Europe, north east USA, etc)
4) Both have recreational clubs that suits my hobbies.
5) In an economical analysis, I got a bigger scholarship on UCLA (30k more than Fuqua) so they are kind of matched, but still LA is a expensier city...
6) It may look pretty the "California Experience", but there is a B-Side of it, traffic jams, etc that I am not aware at... but something simiilar could happen on Durham
7) UCLA weather beats Durham... but not for that
8) Excellent professors on both of them.
9) Maybe more prestigious elite alumni on Duke (Tim Cook for example).

What do you think?
Is there anything I could be missing? Or some edge I am not covering?
Being from that far away blurs a bit perceptions!

Thanks a lot!!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 pm
DrWales wrote:Hello guys,

I'm am experiencing a really happy problem, having to choose between Fuqua or Anderson.

My background:

I worked on investment banking for 4 years and 1 on a real estate developer.
I am from LatinAmerica and it would be great after the MBA to land a job on USA.

I am happy to explore jobs on Real Estate, Tech or Banking (asset management o inv. banking)

In favor for DUKE I feel that:
1) Has a better Brand that UCLA and have the chance to land a job throughout USA while UCLA I see it more centered on California only.
2) Stronger Alumni Network (TEAM FUQUA BRAND), even though Anderson has a strong alumni network too.
3) GATE initiative will help me open my mind to new cultures.
4) Finance Certificate and interesting concentrations to follow.
5) Better Ranked (if that matters...)
6) Very focused on Consulting jobs.

In Favor of UCLA I feel that:
1) Great Real Estate background, with the RE Center, RE Association, RE Career Path and LA being a prime location for that
2) Great Tech Background, with the Tech Association, Tech Career Path and California being a naturally tech market.
3) I feel that could be a weaker in the finance than Duke.
4) More people landing jobs on my actual area interest.

In General
1) LA I feel it more attractive to live but my wife feels Durham.. so it is a match.
2) In LA I feel that there are more jobs opportunities for my wife (en eventually me part time while studying) than on Durham.
3) In the scenario of wanting to move Out California, maybe the Duke Brand is stronger (Europe, north east USA, etc)
4) Both have recreational clubs that suits my hobbies.
5) In an economical analysis, I got a bigger scholarship on UCLA (30k more than Fuqua) so they are kind of matched, but still LA is a expensier city...
6) It may look pretty the "California Experience", but there is a B-Side of it, traffic jams, etc that I am not aware at... but something simiilar could happen on Durham
7) UCLA weather beats Durham... but not for that
8) Excellent professors on both of them.
9) Maybe more prestigious elite alumni on Duke (Tim Cook for example).

What do you think?
Is there anything I could be missing? Or some edge I am not covering?
Being from that far away blurs a bit perceptions!

Thanks a lot!!!!
First- congrats on 2 great choices! For RE, UCLA has some great programs. I am quite a fan of both programs so I don't think you can make a bad choice here. I would not worry about "the rankings" but more-- what is important to you. You mention all these things here-- maybe put a weight to each for importance then rank each school on the metrics and then add up which one is better. And if you don't want to put your fate in the hands of this-- then just get a sense from the answer and really ask what is most important-- job? job where? if you want to be on west coast--then UCLA will
have the proximity-- not to say Fuqua is not connected on west coast because they are as well-- but you will have more opportunities to meet companies out there if you are in the area. Follow your heart... and I wish you the best.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am
It is indeed a happy dilemma. Because you don't have a limited career direction, and the pros and cons seem to come out to a tie, I agree that it's ultimately a subjective question. I like to do a kind of visualization exercise: imagine yourself ten years from now, sitting at your desk, and you glance up at the diploma hanging on your wall. You see the school's name and get a flush of pride: "I went THERE." What is the name of the school on that diploma, the name that gives you that buzz? You'll find that one vision is more thrilling than the other, no matter what the reason. In my opinion, that's the choice you should make.

No matter which school you choose, there will be moments of elation over the next two years, and moments of buyer's remorse as well; knowing that you have followed your dream will be the longest-lasting reward.
Good luck, and congratulations!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me