Profile Evaluation - Any chance at "the top 20s" ?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Myself Sahil,

Program: Interested in MBA in International Business
Nationality: INDIAN
GMAT SCORE: 730 (Q50, V38)
Graduation: B.Sc. Honors Mathematics. Scored only 55% overall (Don't know the exact GPA). Also, Pursuing Post Graduate Diploma in International Business Operations.(Will be completed in 2018)

Work Experience: Total 3 years of work experience:-
1. 1 yr. of experience in Travel & Tourism sector where I worked for High Commission of Malaysia.
2. 2 yrs. of experience in General Insurance sector (Property & Casualty).

Entrepreneurship: Started and Successfully running a Trading Business registered under MSME (medium & small scale industries) along with the job.

Extra curricular activities: Private Tutor and has been a consistent volunteer for Civil Defense (govt. organization) for last 2 yrs.

Do I have any chance of getting accepted at the top B Schools? If yes, which schools should I target as per my profile?

I am worried because my undergrad scores are low. :( :(

Please review my profile and share your views. Your advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:45 am
Hi Sahil,

You overall carry a good profile. You slightly have compensated for the GPA by scoring 730 GMAT but yet if you have strong reason for scoring less in your undergraduate, then you don't have to worry about your GPA scores. While assessing your application, top b-schools looks for candidates who have demonstrated and leadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don't necessarily mean leading teams - they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation and career progression.

Considering the information you have provided, below mentioned are some of the b-schools you should consider while applying.

University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Yale University - Yale School of Management
University of California Anderson School of Management
University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business
University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Duke University Fuqua School of Business
IE Business School
Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business

If you want to have a detailed free profile evaluation by the top B-schools Alumni please feel free to reach us out at +91 9980044412
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

TTT

by admitbrain.com » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm
Lots of potential with the 730! but the GPA sets you back. Picking Tuck at random, here's a snapshot of the round 2 outcomes from last year from our mba livewire explorer:

As you can see, plenty of green dots north of 700, but below about a 3.4 seems to have trouble. Of course, the data aren't perfect, but it's hopefully food for thought.

Best of luck![/spoiler]

TT

by sahiln » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm
Thanks a lot GeneralEducation for reviewing my profile!! <i class="em em-innocent"></i><i class="em em-innocent"></i>

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 am
A few more thoughts on your profile Sahil:
  1. - The work experience seems interesting though eclectic. It will be vital to connect the two gigs otherwise the experience my appear fractured leading to some loss of numbers there.

- The trading thing sounds good too; but again, the brownie points will come only once you put this into context and connect the dots as to why should the adcoms care and what that portrays.

- Read here on the GPA bit. There are things you could do apart from GMAT so bear that in mind and if relevant, use the optional essay well.

- Finally, for reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. But if you play your cards right, you should have some shot at the top 20.
Hope this helps some.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 am
Hi Sahil,

I think your work experience will be the biggest challenge.

Your professional experience combined with your side gig spans few industries and may give the impression of lack of focus. Details of your experience matters, but if you don't have few solid professional achievements and career progression, it would be tough at the top schools.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm
Your work experience stands out for an Indian applicant: both having started your own trading company and working for the High Commission of Malaysia.

The quality of your undergraduate institution can offset a lower percentage GPA (e.g. if you graduated from BITS Pilani or an IIT).

I would recommend your also looking at schools within the top 20, but not as competitive as some of those listed, such as UNC or Emory.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.