ASK MBA IVY LEAGUE: Former Harvard Admissions & Harvard

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi all, I'm fielding questions this week as Round 1 applications are swiftly approaching. Happy to answer any questions about Harvard, though my firm actually specializes in all the "Top Ten" schools.

Check out my blog as well, for free MBA tips and advice: www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Looking for help on this year's MBA applications? I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard graduate. Check out my blog for great MBA advice and tips, or contact me for a free consultation today! www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by JoroGMAT » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm
I am seeking advice on the application process and would love an expert opinion!

I have taken the gmat twice and my scores are as follows:
Attempt 1:
Verbal: 41, 94th percentile
Quant: 42, 45th percentile
Total score: 680

Attempt 2:
Verbal: 44, 98th percentile
Quant: 42, 45th percentile
Total score: 700

I'm very discouraged because previous to my second attempt I spent 95% of my study time on quant and didn't improve my score at all. I do have proficiency in math which would be demonstrated on my resume - I have worked at a boutique investment firm for 5 yrs, I'm responsible for $30m of investment which includes financial and stock analysis, have done business in 14 different countries, etc. Even if I have a decent resume, am I totally out of the running for Stanford or Harvard with a 42 quant score?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:16 pm
The truth is, I know it's disappointing, but you are going to have to take the test again if you want to be seriously considered for the top schools (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton).

I could sugar-coat it and tell you otherwise, and maybe you would get as far as the interview, but unless you have something completely EXCEPTIONAL in your workexperience / background (started a known-name company, wrote a book, hold some patents...something that basically makes you a known innovator and celebrity) you're hurting yourself by not just taking the test again, reaching for that 720 or 740 with an equally impressive quant score, and really maximizing your opportunity for your career by going to a top school.

You can certainly get in to a "good' MBA program with a 680, and even with your low quant score, but it's that where you want to rest?

I have helped MBA clients get in to the top schools for the last 15 years, and I have gotten people in with 680's (and lower) before, but it is rare, and there really needs to be something exceptional in their background that makes up for the score.

Your experience sounds good, but common. There are a LOT of investment guys applying -- what's going to make you stand out? What's going to make you competitive? You need, in my opinion, a 720+ in order to even play the game.

I would study in a different way than you did before (get a different book, take a physical class, anything DIFFERENT) and take the test again, and apply for Round 2. Hope that helps!
Looking for help on this year's MBA applications? I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard graduate. Check out my blog for great MBA advice and tips, or contact me for a free consultation today! www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AilalaHL » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:27 am
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your support. I am a graduate in BSc Economics from a top 5 UK university (Top 20 in the world overall and top 5 in UK for Economics). However my GPA is not great (only equi. 3.3/4.0). It went from First class (equi. 3.8-4.0) in first year to Second Class (3.3 equi.) in 2nd and 3rd year due to personal health issue. I am currently 25, female, Asian working for venture capital in Singapore for almost 2 years now. It's not a big fund so I am planning to move to a bigger fund (VC/PE) to strengthen my resume.

1, I am planning to apply for top 5 MBA programme in the US (HBS/Stanford/Wharton) in 3 years time and would like to get your advice on how to best prepare for it. My resume is clearly not strong (low GPA, no big name) so would you advise me to write to magazine/start blog/set up company to compensate for that?
I have exactly 3 years from now and would like to plan out everything to best prepare myself. Is there anything else you would advise me to do now please?

2, Also for GMAT/GRE, which one would you recommend me to take and what's the minimum score (eg. GMAT 750 or 770) you think I should aim for to stand a realistic chance at the above schools?

3. Would CFA compensate for the low GPA? I am currently aiming to work in Finance and set up my own fund when I am in 30s.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you.
Best,
Ailala