UK profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

UK profile evaluation

by tarnojmimy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am
Hi there,

I am interested in getting a profile evaluation. I haven't yet taken the GMAT but would like to get a feel for my options with my work experience and academic background:

2008 - started a small online business in the UK (online retail store) and successfully sold
2009 - degree programme included 1 year internship at L'Oreal working in procurement and logistics
2010 - graduated with a Bachelor degree in Business and Computing (GPA 3.6) from a top 20 UK university
2011 - 2013 - spent 2 years in management consulting at Accenture for banks and insurance companies
2013 - 2016 - spent 3.5 years in management consulting at Deloitte (within strategy and operations consulting) for various UK banks, led small teams here
2016 to date - managing operations at a well known pre-IPO start-up (facebook/google equivalent).

Outside of work I provide mentoring for a social mobility charity.

I'm 28, white, british male.

I would be targeting the top US business schools and also London Business School. If I broke 700 on the GMAT, would I even have a chance at Harvard/Wharton/Stanford/MIT?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm
A few thoughts on your profile tarnojmimy:
  1. Your experience looks solid and the transition out of consulting could make for an interesting story. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. However, for top league programs, you really need all guns blazing. In that context, the consulting experience outside of Big 3 is just about ok. It is your position in the current firm and achievements if any that might be the game changers - think along those lines.
  2. Continuing on the above lines, the volunteer effort sounds interesting but it will be important to understand impact delivered as well as time devoted. It has to be more than a tick mark to fetch you any brownie points.
  3. Since you've already done Consulting and Ops, the biggest question to answer would be Why Mba and what after. Think hard and deep on those.
  4. Your GPA sounds good but aim higher on the GMAT preferably to get within striking distance.
Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 am
tarnojmimy wrote:Hi there,

I am interested in getting a profile evaluation. I haven't yet taken the GMAT but would like to get a feel for my options with my work experience and academic background:

2008 - started a small online business in the UK (online retail store) and successfully sold
2009 - degree programme included 1 year internship at L'Oreal working in procurement and logistics
2010 - graduated with a Bachelor degree in Business and Computing (GPA 3.6) from a top 20 UK university
2011 - 2013 - spent 2 years in management consulting at Accenture for banks and insurance companies
2013 - 2016 - spent 3.5 years in management consulting at Deloitte (within strategy and operations consulting) for various UK banks, led small teams here
2016 to date - managing operations at a well known pre-IPO start-up (facebook/google equivalent).

I would be targeting the top US business schools and also London Business School. If I broke 700 on the GMAT, would I even have a chance at Harvard/Wharton/Stanford/MIT?

So while the information you shared is not very detailed it does look very promising, so I would say that if you can
1. Get a GMAT score that is a bit higher than the one you mentioned
2. Write compelling essays where you tie everything together (including with your post-MBA goal)
your chances should be okay. That does not mean in any way it is a sure thing of course, but if everything is presented the right way, it could work (an admissions consultant like ARINGO can help if you think that part is challenging!).

Have you taken the GMAT yet by any chance? If so, how did it go? And when did you think of applying?

JL
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm
Hi tarnojmimy,

Your current startup (which sounds like reasonably further on the growth curve) stint could provide a big differentiator to your application. Such companies usually have fast-paced, many-parts-moving, rapid growth kind of trajectory, which can be an attractive experience for B-schools. I would say focus on this experience more. I would encourage you to apply to M7 schools. While it's not easy to get into them, you can have a shot with a good score and strong application.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Location: Decade + of MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe.
Followed by:6 members

by MBAPrepCoach » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 am
tarnojmimy wrote:Hi there,

What I see here is that you have good grades, a lot of "brand names" on your CV (HBS likes this), entrepreneurial experience (GSB likes this) and some interesting community experience. It seems you have shifted a bit with industry which is OK but places some importance on making them feel assured that you know what is going to make you happy and successful in the future. ie Why MBA/this school/that job etc. That said, there is a lot to like and I do feel from the info given you have a shot at a top 5 school however there are a lot of unknowns also. International work experience, recommendations, how you come across in interviews, and the special sauce factor, what about your brand makes you unrepeatable to these schools? As GSB says, it's about selection not evaluation. Nearly all applicants are is qualified but who is chosen. So hard to discern that here. I do feel that being in an overrepresented group, while male consultant/banker, you will need to go beyond a 700 on the GMAT. But I feel optimistic that IF you do the app well you could do top 10 and with luck top 5.
Getting MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe. 80% admitted to top 5; 99% top 10. Curious about partnering ? Book a consult at https://calendly.com/mbaprepcoach