MSA/MAC profile evaluation.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

MSA/MAC profile evaluation.

by AleksandrM » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:33 pm
Born in Uzbekistan, where I spent my childhood. Came to the US at the age of 12.

Other than English, am fluent in Russian.

Attended Penn State and then transferred to Temple University. Graduated with a BA in sociology. GPA = 3.79.

Was awarded a scholarship twice. Was named President's Scholar upon graduation.

Took the GMAT twice. 1st = 39 quant + 38 verbal + 6 AWA = 640.
2nd = 35 quant + 41 verbal + 5.5 AWA = 640.

Low quant, I know. However, took algebra, precalc, and stat in college and received an A in all. Took physics and finished with a B.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars. Wrote for a student newspaper while at Penn State. Nothing at Temple. Had to work to pay for school and help my mother with domestic expenses. Most recently, volunteered as a tutor at a charter school; worked with inner city children to improve their reading skills.

Interned at a human resources solutions firm for five months. Participated in a major project, which is a centerpiece of a team essay I wrote for one of the schools.

Have worked for a logistics company for a year. Serve as an import account representative there. My client is the biggest pharma generics firm in the world. Work with many parties throughout the globe on a daily basis.

Have secured a recommendation from the president of the human resources firm. Have also secured a recommendation from two former professors who know my academic work and know me personally, and are absolutely ecstatic to write me a recommendation.

Target schools are: Kenan-Flagler (UNC); McCallum (Bentley College); Carroll (Boston College). Will apply for the 1st round at each school.

Post grad school focus: 3 to 5 years in assurance services @ Big Four. Then, transfer to transaction advisory services (M&As, divestitures, and valuation).

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 am
Hello,

You seem to be a qualified applicant for the schools you mention. While there are some weaknesses (e.g., low quant GMAT), they are mitigated by the strong quant course work. For the low level of extracurricular activity, make sure that your application clarifies your working during school. Your recent community service is great; better late than never! Make sure your applications also show this activity.

Overall, it looks like you’re in good shape in terms of target schools with a reasonable to good chance of admission. Good luck!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:34 am
Hi Cindy,

I just wanted to thank you once again for pointing me in the right direction. I was going to use the optional essay to once again underline my qualifications. However, it was a relief to explain my weakness (lack of extracurricular involvement while in school). In my essays, not only was I able to explain why I could not participate in EC activities while in school, but also was able to really connect with each school on a personal level. I think that my "story" (essays), recommendation letters, academic record, and an otherwise competitive GMAT score should outweigh my low score on the quant section.