Work Experience Question.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Work Experience Question.

by 2marie2 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:43 pm
I've searched and searched for any post that addresses my question, and can't find any topic in any forum that does so.

I have been an executive assistant at a top investment bank for the past 3 years, and have 2 years of other administrative experience before that. I went to a top UC Berkeley graduated with a good GPA. I have been scoring in the high 600s (and one 710) on practice GMATs so far, and would consider myself well-rounded with a good number of extra-curriculars, but would like to advance my career beyond admin work.

So many people on this site and others tend to be Indian working in IT, or if not, i-bankers or consultants. So my question is, is my work experience (or lack of real work experience as some people on these boards might think) a hindrance to getting into a top school? Do admissions directors turn their heads a people who aren't investment bankers and/or don't have patents registered to them?

I'm having a hard time finding information on this. I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:27 pm
Your work experience will not be a hindrance if:
- you can demonstrate your academic strength via your GPA and GMAT scores,
- you can get strong LORs specifically describing your achievements and professional growth, and
- your experience includes innovation, leadership, and teamwork abilities (and you convey it in your essays).

Business schools do not want classes that are homogeneous. Often people outside of the traditional pre-MBA career paths can add a different perspective and diversity to the class.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options