Evaluation of My Candidacy for "Big Three" and oth

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Greetings Veritas,
I would like to know my chances of admission into a top 10 business school--especially the big three of Stanford, Wharton and HBS. I am planning on applying to 5-10 schools, most (at least Stanford, Wharton, HBS) for the first deadline. Your help is appreciated.

I have worked in nonprofit out of college and I'm now at a small public company. My goal after college graduation (still my goal) was to get experience in nonprofit, experience in the private sector, then go to bschool and afterward enter mgt consulting career. I provided my profile info below. Your guidance is appreciated.

GMAT:
I took the GMAT and scored 680 (Q43: V40). I am also considering taking an evening financial analysis/accounting class this spring to show i'm serious about improving my quant. Is it a good idea to mention this in my applications?

Academics:
I went to a top 50 college where I was phi beta kappa, valedictorian of my class and I received other awards for leadership. I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in a double major and a minor--all in liberal arts/social sciences disciplines.

Experience:
After college graduation in 2004, I served with Americorps (1 year) and afterwards participated in a prestigious leadership/public affairs fellowship (1 year). I worked part time in a community development non profit (6 mo) before finding the right opportunity in the private sector.
I currently work in financial media (will be here 2.5 years when I matriculate in fall 2009). I realize that I have to convince adcom that my career path has been chosen and logical as well as focused on developing my leadership abilities.

Extracurriculars:
-(4 years) Fraternity alumni corporation of the local chapter of my fraternity and a regular volunteer for the national fraternity at conferences
-(3 years) The alumni board of my americorps program: I hold a leadership position
-(2.5 years) In a local political club: I am on the executive committee
-(1 year) Recently joined a team of young professionals to start from scratch another non profit alumni board

Personal:
I am a recently naturalized US Citizen and I am an ethnic minority (asian).

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 pm
I am sure you know that MBA admissions are becoming increasingly competitive. Therefore, your GMAT is a bit on the low side for top programs. You might want to consider taking it again if you have not taken it more than twice already. And yes, taking quant courses can enhance your application but they will be more helpful once you have completed them and earned a good grade (preferably A's).

The GMAT is not the only component of your application though it is often used as a measure of your academic strength. LORs, essays, and interviews are extremely important and should be used to differentiate yourself from other applicants. Try to show any unique skills or strengths and show what you can add to an MBA class.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options