Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile evaluation

by sukrant26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Hi

Please evaluate my profile

GMAT Score : 720 (51Q/35V, AWA 5). Please note the 99th percentile quant...but also the 74th percentile verbal score.

GPA : I guess around 3.3 (90th percentile score....)

Undergrad : Bachelors in Business Studies from Delhi University. (best B school for undergrad studies in India). I majored in Finance. However it was a 3 year undergrad degree

Incomplete Post grad : Completed 2 years of a 3 year MBA, Executive Program (evening regular) from IIM, Lucknow (among top 3 B schools in India). I completed 2 years, however left MBA because of certain professional and personal reasons.

Work Experience : 5 years 3 months (6 years by Jul09)

Working with the world's most reputed bank (Forbes No. 1 company). Worked for approx. 4 years in India and 1.5 years in California. Currently working as Associate Vice President in California

- Am 25 yr old and had 3 promotions in my career of 5 years with the bank.
- Work for retail/personal banking and have experience in 2 countries
- Recognised as best performer for last 12 consecutive months GLOBALLY in my division.
- In my last two promotions, I was the youngest Manager/AVP in India.
- Chosen for international conventions twice in last one year to represent my department

Recommendations

- Will have two very strong recommendations. One from my direct supervisor and one from a client (very successful and renowned in his profession)

- Third from a peer if required

Leadership experience

- Was managing a team of 4 people in my previous role. However since the current role requires managing HNWI relationships, I have not been allocated any resources. Hence it may be a drawback

- I led some study trips in college

- Organized many events and contests in the organisation

Next move in the organisation: Vice President

Extra curricular - Correspondent for all newsletters in my organisations. Contributed couple of articles in college magazine.

Worked for Helpage (helping old people) in India for a year and mobilised funds from the bank clients towards charity and health care of inhabitants of old age homes

Target Schools : Stanford/Wharton/Harvard/GSB Chicago/Columbia

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:47 pm
Hi S -

You have great credentials for the schools mentioned below, but its hard to gauge your candidacy into these MBA programs based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview performance. That said - here is my feedback.

Overall, you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT/Engineering background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar stats?

My only concern is your existing MBA education. I am not sure how AdCom will view this experience in light of applying to a full-time program.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sukrant26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:56 pm
Hi Nikhil

Many thanks for your reply

Just one clarification. I do not have an IT/Engineering background.

I am a commercial banker.

I majored in finance during my BBS (equivalent of BBA). Do you think that makes any difference? Or the schools treat Indian applicants at par irrespective of their professional background.

Will be grateful for your inputs