Plz evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Plz evaluate my profile

by chandramouli » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:41 am
I'm Chandramouli, an Indian IT male with 4+ years of experience. I will outline my profile below so that you can evaluate that and provide some valuable advice on the areas which you feel i should improve upon.

Educational Qualification:

B.Tech in Information Technology from University of Madras ( 84.7 % -> 3.7 GPA.. have some confusion in this GPA conversion :) :) )
Stood 3rd overall in my department.

GMAT
720 (95th percentile , Q 48 V40 AWA: yet to receive)

Work ( managerial) experience:
I have been fortunate to have a good progression in my career. Working currently as a Team Leader leading a team of 5 people in my company( one of India's premier software service provider). Joined the company in sep 2004. In july 2005, was sent as an implementation consultant to 'the largest bank in Nigeria'. The opportunity to face the client directly (that too African Clients) was too good and i relished it. Had a feel of how african countries are slowly but steadily developing. After this, i was again sent (this time alone) to implement one module of our product at another big bank at Nigeria. I had to develop this project from scratch (from requirements analysis, budgeting, effort estimation, deployment, user acceptance testing till signoff by client). Even though it was tough, i gained a lot of experience thro this project. Next was a project in a dubai bank.Then i moved on to Nigeria again, this time not alone, but leading a team of 4 people on a massive project. The opportunity to face the clients directly entices me the most. And i seem to like the African people a lot.

Extra Curriculars:

At my high school level, i was the cultural captain of the 'Chola House' which was one section of the student population. Responsibilities included organizing Quiz, Essay, debate competitions. major achievement during my tenure was organizing a cultural festival in our school by attracting corporate sponsorship. it was a huge success.

At my grad college level, i spearheaded two big IT symposiums, which attracted a large number of students from different colleges. This time too, we attracted corporate sponsorship to fund our programs. It was a huge success too. I was the student representative of my class.

Right now involved with an organization called 'REACH' (rural education and conservation of heritage organization). Prime objective of our organisation is to preserve our culture by increasing awareness about indian villages and the culture preserved in them. We goto villages and enlighten the villagers about the richness of their culture and the need to preserve them. We renovate the temples and other historical structures using ancient environmental friendly techniques. The key point is that, we make use of the villagers themselves, so that they feel equally responsible and at the same time, we generate jobs to the poor villagers.

At my office, I'm spearheading an initiative for 'conservation of power' and reducing the carbon foot print. I have organized roadshows, presentations and over the mouth awareness initiatives to this effect in my office and they have yielded good results.

Target Schools:

Haas
Tepper
Darden
Fuqua
Purdue
GSB chicago
UCLA anderson

Please evaluate my profile and tell me if i stand i chance to break into any of my target schools.

- Mouli

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 am
If you have read others posts in this forum, I am sure that you have noticed that both Nikhil and I have mentioned that Indian applicants with IT backgrounds comprise a large portion of current MBA applicants. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I must say that again and stress how important it is for you to stand out of the rest of the pool.

Your profile is impressive however the cream of the crop is applying this year making it increasingly difficult to stand out. Since you are from an IT background be sure to emphasize any instances of management and/or leadership. You can also show your uniqueness via any special interests/skills or post-MBA career plans. Think of your application as a personal marketing plan. You have the goods, you just have to show why you should be selected.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options