Evaluation requested (Unsure of what to do)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Evaluation requested (Unsure of what to do)

by uncbeers » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 pm
I just finished my GMAT and I am somewhat surprised to say the least. I scored completely opposite of how I thought and what the GMATPrep showed I would. Anyways:

GMAT was 600 (V44, Q28). I was doing much better with verbal and not so well with Quant during the practices. None-the-less, that is what I have for now.

GPA is 3.81 in Business. While my school was less known, the actual business school is recognized for top quality students. They recently won the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. Not sure if that helps offset my lesser knwon school or not?

WE will be 2 years by Fall of 09. I work for a marketing and political research company in project management. While no formal job title promotion has been given, I have progressed in responsibilities. Started with small clients and small projects to the point of managing multiple projects across multiple countries all varying in scope and size of budget. Have quite a few diferent six-figure projects that I oversee the outsourcing of.

LofR can come from current Director of my department and also a former Professor. During my time in my UG program I had a fellowship where I worked closely with my Professors to aid them in their research or assist them in their classes. I have multiple Professors from my department willing to write letters on my behalf.

EC: Only really have past experience in helping coach youth hockey. I did this as volunteer work and continue to do so every now and then. While it isn't EC the other thing I have to my resume is extensive experience with other cultures. I have lived in Germany for quite some time and studied the language for 8+ years. My job and my travels have me looking internationally for my MBA as opposed to a US school.

My school list (heavily international):

1. GISMA in Hanover-Purdue (Avg GMAT is 620)
2. ERASMUS in Rotterdam (Avg GMAT is 630)

**EDIT** to note that choice 1 and 2 are a distant 1st and 2nd place

3. HEC
4. ESADE
5. ASU or CU-Leeds School of Business

That list is pretty much in order of my preference. After my GMAT today I am worried my GMAT may be low and my WE (although interesting) may still not be enough to get me into one of these programs. I know GISMA has an avg of 620 for their GMAT score so would bumping mine up any really help?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 pm
Hi UNC,
Thanks for your post. Unfortunately I am not an expert with those programs. I would urge you to contact Vertias Prep directly to get more information and access your candidacy.

Our info is below.

Regards,

NP

Veritas Prep | Elite Test Preparation and Admissions Consulting | US: 1.800.925.7737 | International: 1.310.456.8716 | UK: 44.207.099.2094 | www.VeritasPrep.com
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by uncbeers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 pm
Thanks NP!

Is there anyone in particular or any particular group I should be looking for if I call?

Thanks,
Brent

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 am
Hi Brett,
When you contact VP (or any Admissions Consulting service) explain your situation and the schools you are interested in and they should be able to point you to the right people who have more expertise on European schools you are interested in (and other Euro/US schools that might also fit your profile).

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep