Admissions Consulting?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Admissions Consulting?

by zarimi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:02 pm
Hi,

I am heavily considering admissions consulting.

I am 22 and have just finished a year at my current job (I'm in HR)
My undergrad gpa was not that strong (i think it was a 3.45). I majored in Communication at Rutgers. (I was lazy and unsure of what i wanted to do)
I have not taken an official GMAT yet - just a diagnostic - it was 580 (i know, i'm currently in a class to try and improve this as much as I can, haha i'm pushing for a 700.)

I'm currently employed and have just finished a year. I'm not worried about recommendations - My supervisor and VP both really liked me and I know i can handle the job.

I guess, my HUGE fears are the ones that everyone is worried about - besides my GMAT scores not being good enough - I'm also deeply concerned about my essays and resume, and general look of my application.

But, just based on my above #'s, it looks like it's not even worth it to do admissions consulting.. but is it? I'm a big hopeful.

Also - I'm stuck in a huge quandary.

Rutgers has a HRM program - which would be great for Human Resources

NYU - has a Managing MBA and the like - and NYU is just absolutely great.

So... is it still better to go to NYU, rather than Rutgers - because the NYU name is soo much more recognized?

(This is ONLY in my wildest, fantasy, drug inducing dream that I get accepted into NYU.)

So any advice, would be soo great.

Thank you all!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:08 pm
If you are concerned about how to put together a competitive application package then an admissions consultant could definitely help you. However, at this point I would suggest that you focus on the GMAT and earning a competitive score. You may want to consider formal GMAT classes to help you achieve this goal.

Additionally, you need more than a year of work experience to be competitive for top-tier programs. Finally, work on gaining other life experiences (via community involvement and/or extracurricular activities) so that you will be seen as a well rounded applicant.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options