Could you kindly evaluate my profile:

Overview:
Nationality: Saudi
B.S. Computer Engineering, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals 2006
GPA: 3.45 out of 4.0
GMAT : 610 (Q47,V27) I am going to re-take it in early October

Working Experience:

- 8 weeks of internship at Atos Origin Middle East
- After graduation I joined Booz & Company (Former commercial consulting unit of Booz Allen Hamilton) as a Business Analyst and was promoted to Consultant after 18 months (Present Job)
- Most of my consulting experience is in marketing and more specifically for telecom operators
- Will be having around 2.5 years of experience when I begin my MBA in fall 2009

Community Work:
- Worked on developing a pro-bono turn around strategy for a local philanthropic society as part of Booz support to the Saudi community

Achievements:
- Awarded for Atos Origin Scholarship for distinguished students
- Graduated with second honors
- Distinguished student in all academic terms
- Completed my B.S. degree one year ahead of my batch (in 4 years instead of the normal 5 year program in my university)

MBA Sponsorship:
- I will be fully sponsored by the Saudi Ministry of Higher Education

Personal Information
- Martial Status: Married
- Native Arabic speaker and fluent in English
- Travels include Bahrain, Canada, Egypt, France, Kuwait, Lebanon, Singapore, Switzerland, Thailand, UAE and different states in the US.

Desired Top 10 Schools list:
-MIT
-Harvard
-Stanford
-Chicago
-Michigan

Desired Top 30 Schools list:

-Cornell
-Indiana (Kelly)
-Michigan State
-Ohio State
-Carnegie Mellon
-Maryland
-Penn State

My questions are the following:

(1) What is my level of competitiveness at the top 10 schools list and what GMAT score should I aim when I retake the test?

(2) What is my level of competitiveness at the top 30 schools list with my current GMAT score without retaking it?

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Hatem

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:27 am
Hatem,

Overall, your profile looks pretty good. However, you should aim for a higher GMAT score (closer to/above 700) to be competitive for top 10 programs, especially now when so many highly qualified applicants are applying. You should be in great shape for top 30 programs.

That said, remember that your application consists of more than pure metrics. You have good work experience and some community service. Don't forget to mention any other extracurricular activities or community involvement. You should spend a significant amount of time on essays, LORs, and interview prep (where applicable). Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by hatemkr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:57 am
Many thanks for your prompt feedback.

In case I did not beat the GMAT next time, God forbid, is a score of 610 enough to get me into one of the top 30? say Indiana or Cornell?

I am thinking to have my applications for 3 of the top 30 schools ready and send them by the first round.

In case I was able to beat the GMAT and get 700+ I will then apply for second round to 3 of the top 10 schools. What do you think?

Sincerely,
Hatem

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 am
Though most people seem to focus solely on the GMAT, it is only one component of your application. A 610 should not automatically eliminate you from consideration for the the programs you mentioned. However, you should make sure that the rest of your application is very strong. Your essays, LORs, and interview are all very important and should be taken as seriously as your GMAT prep.

Finally, your application strategy sounds good. Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by hatemkr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:54 am
Many thanks again for your help, I really appreciate your thoughtful advices.

Sincerely,
Hatem