Please help me with how to proceed

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please help me with how to proceed

by svaradhan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm
Hi,

Actually, I posted this information in the "I just beat the GMAT" section too. But I realized this is a better place to post it. I am from India with 7 years of experience in IT industry. I took my GMAT today and got a devastating 610 (49Q / 25V). I am stuck now. Initially, I wanted to do a fulltime but with this score, I am very skeptical about getting into any top 10 B-schools. My GPA is 3.1 (81% in BE Electrical Engg).

I'm right now thinking of Exec MBA too. Do I stand a chance in any of the top 10 schools? What are the schools that I can apply to? Please please help me with this information.

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:52 pm
Hello S -

Thanks for your post.

Its is hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview. Unfortunately, you fall into one of the most competitive applicant pools - Indians with IT background.

Most of these candidates that apply to top 10 FT programs have a least 700 GMAT scores and higher GPAs. Therefore I think it is going to be very difficult for you to get into a top 10 FT MBA program... EMBA will also be difficult, unless you have stellar work experience that is unique from the 1000s of applicants with similar backgrounds.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by svaradhan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:59 pm
Thank you for your response. I am going to give my GMAT again.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm
No problem. Good luck with your test. You might want to consider taking a GMAT prep class to help you prepare for the GMAT.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep