Advice needed if path's a right one

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice needed if path's a right one

by Raven » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:06 am
Hi all.

I joined this community because I thought I might get some advice. My situation is slightly different than everyone involved here because everyone is aiming at top b-schools. For me, I'm looking at location, not reputation, where schools are. I also consider part-time track rather than full-time in order to stay at my current job.

I am seriously considering going to b-school but is it a right path for me? Here's the info below.

I'm in my 30s, female, a person with disability, have 6 years of work experience (I'm still currently employed full time), actively involved in community, passionate about arts and design since I majored in graphic design undergrad, run my own online business from home, and am married. I currently reside in San Diego area and don't want to relocate because of my spouse's good job. So I'm focusing on local schools. The only downside I have is that I have a low undergrad GPA due to working all through out university years, living on my own (my family lives 3,000 miles away), and went through personal issues that affected my motivation and performance at school including having a disability that I have to overcome and not sure of what I want out of life and career back then.

I currently work as a Business Development Director for a nonprofit organization so I thrive on challenges and am in charge of marketing and public relations. I also do web development/design as well. I monitor grants and love to write/edit. I enjoy communicating my ideas and making them work in reality.

I've not taken GMAT yet so I'm considering studying it soon for 2009 admissions. What do you think? Do I have a shot of enrolling a b-school? I thought about doing alternate transcript taking a couple of classes at local community college to demonstrate my ability to do well.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:55 am
Hi Raven,
Thanks for your post. Do be discouraged - I do believe you are still competitive for a part-time program in your area. I don't know of too many MBA programs in the SD area, but I am sure there are options that fit your requirements in SD (not to mention OC, LA and internet-based programs).

Dont stress about your UG GPA. Instead, focus on your GMAT and scoring toward the upper end of your target school ranges. This will help offset a low GPA. Also, most schools have an 'optional essay' in which you can address any weaknesses/areas of concern in your application.

Yes, another good option to help your candidacy is taking a stats or accounting course at a local college can help demonstrate your ability to handle the academic rigor of the MBA program. However, before you go this route, I would focus on the GMAT.

Good luck!!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep