Course detail + discount availability

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Course detail + discount availability

by piyushk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 pm
Hi,

I want to know the offerings from Manhattan for GMAT preparation. I'm not looking for personal tutoring.

What options are available and for what price, discount?

Are there any trial classes for me to check before I register/pay?

Please respond.

Thanks, Piyush

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 am
Hi,

We have various programs available:

Our regular course is a 9-session course available in multiple locations as well as online (choose a location on the map on this page to see a list of upcoming classes and read more about this course:) https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep-programs.cfm

We also offer Guided Self Study, which you can read about here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep-self-study.cfm

Or, you could just work from our books, which you can read about here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-cours ... -books.cfm and find in the store here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/store.cfm

As a Beat the GMAT reader, you're eligible for $100 off of our 9-session courses. You can find the information on that here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/btg.cfm

Let me know if you have any questions about these offerings!

Best,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT

by piyushk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 am
Hi Caitlin,

Appreciate that you responded to my question so quickly.

I have few more questions:

1. how long is the course valid and how many months after enrolling I would still have access to the resources?
2. would you be able to provide the class recordings on a CD/DVD?
3. in case if I would like to purchase all of the following on my own, would the fee be adjusted?

8 Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides
3 Official Guides For GMAT Review (12th Ed., Verbal, and Quant)
Official Guide Companion & Online Official Guide Companion - *NEW*
Free Foundations of GMAT Math Strategy Supplement & Workshops

4. Are the 6 Computer Adaptive Practice Tests not the same which come along with the purchase of ur GMAT Strategy Guides? or these are different?

5. Is it possible to just enroll for the live/recorded sessions and have access to the following only?

Additional Resources
Office Hours

6. What is the total duration of the course?
7. what is the difference between-pre-recorded set of class sessions & recordings of their own 9-Session Course?
8. what happens if i want more than 2 Private Phone Sessions?
9. Would Manhattan provide answer/solutions to the problems other than OG books & their course materials?
10. What is the difference between Live Online & Prep Plus?

Thanks,
Piyush

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 am
Hi Piyush,

1. how long is the course valid and how many months after enrolling I would still have access to the resources?
You would have the resources for an initial 3 months after the course ended. After that, you would be able to gain two free 180 day resource extensions if you needed them, so all in all the resources would add up to a total one year and three months after the end date of your course.

2. would you be able to provide the class recordings on a CD/DVD?
You will have recordings of the classes, but they'll be accessible online via your student center.

3. in case if I would like to purchase all of the following on my own, would the fee be adjusted?
Yes, the cost of the books are included in the cost of the course, so we would give you credits for the books you already owned. However, I would make sure you're getting the most up to date guides (ed. 4.1 for the 8 MGMAT Strategy Guides, 12th edition OG, and 2nd edition quant and verbal review books.)

4. Are the 6 Computer Adaptive Practice Tests not the same which come along with the purchase of ur GMAT Strategy Guides? or these are different?
They are the same.

5. Is it possible to just enroll for the live/recorded sessions and have access to the following only?

Additional Resources
Office Hours
I'm sorry if I was a little confused by this question. Could you explain it again?

6. What is the total duration of the course?
Our 9-session courses meet once a week, so most courses last 9 weeks, although depending on holidays there may be a week where they skip.

7. what is the difference between-pre-recorded set of class sessions & recordings of their own 9-Session Course?
If you take a Live Online class, you will be able to go back and view the recordings of your own class once it's happened. This is the class that you signed up for, with your specific instructors and classmates. The other recordings were taken when we switched curriculum and would not be for you specific class.

8. what happens if i want more than 2 Private Phone Sessions?
With the Live Online course or an in-person course you get one per week, so a total of 9 office hours sessions. With the Guided Self Study you get 2. If you need more, you can always purchase private tutoring, which you can find out about here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep-tutoring.cfm

9. Would Manhattan provide answer/solutions to the problems other than OG books & their course materials?
It depends where the problems are from and what copyright laws are in place.

10. What is the difference between Live Online & Prep Plus?
One is live, with 9 office hours sessions, the other is recorded, with only 2 office hours sessions.
Caitlin Clay

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 am

1. Would Manhattan instructors help with the questions from OG books and all of the 10 study guides?

You go over the material in class, and you also have the 9 office hours sessions (one per week during class) in which to ask an instructor one-on-one for help with specific examples. (These sessions take place in our online classroom at a time of your choosing.) In terms of the ten study guides, the Official Guide Companion actually gives explanations to all quant questions in the OG, so that should help as well, and the Foundations of Math is great for really building up your basic math skills. However, if you have questions with anything, you should feel free to either bring it up during office hours, or email your instructor, who will give you his/her email address at the beginning of class.

2. Is there any tracker (online or spreadsheet) be provided by Manhattan to track my progress with the study guides, labs, homework and CATs?
Yes, we have two such tools:
- The OG Tracker tracks how long you spend on each problem and whether you get them correct or incorrect and lets you analyze your answers to discover areas of strength and weakness.
- The Study Organizer gives you a detailed, day-by-day plan of what work you should accomplish for the course.

3. Would the homework, etc be from the study guides or separate materials would be provided?

The homework is a combination of reading study guides, doing online labs, doing practice tests, and doing problems from the OG. You can see a sample syllabus here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/Bigfiles/C ... -08-13.pdf

4. What is the discount available along with the advertised 10% through Beat the GMAT for Live Online class?

The discount for Beat the GMAT members is $100 off of our 9-session courses. You also receive some of their extra problems.

5. What would be the price excluding the books (8 study guides, foundations of maths, Companion to OG, all 3 OG books)? I had actually bought all these books and have also completed 3 of the study guides till date.

If we were to send you no materials at all, we would give you a credit of $250. If you wanted, say, the Foundations of Math, we would work out how much to credit you based on that amount.

6. I would be taking Live online classes on weekend, but still would it be allowed to take/swap a class on a weekday?

No. Once you're in a class we want to keep you in the same class so that you can get to know the instructor and classmates. The instructors tailor their questions to the classes they have, so having that consistency is something that we strive for.

7. Would the recoded sessions of the live class be available after 3 months from my enrollment?
You have the option of two free 180 day resource extensions after the initial 3 month period. The recordings of your actual class will only be available for three months post-course.

8. Would the on-demand pre-recoded sessions be available after 3 months from my enrollment?
Yes, if you chose to use your free resource extensions.

9. Are the 6 Computer Adaptive Practice Tests same as the ones which come with the Study Guides?
Yes. All come from our pool of questions. You can reset them as necessary, but when you do, the questions you have answered will be re-released into the pool so you may see them again on your next test.

10. Is there any way I could ask questions/doubts to my instructors apart from the fixed Office Hours of 30-minute/week?

Your instructor will give you his/her email address at the start of class.

11. After 3 months of my enrollment and completion of 9 weeks of class, what all facilities and/or access would still be available to me-prerecorded sessions, CATs, study aids?
Everything, if you choose to use your free 180 day resource extension

Please feel free to call if you have many more questions. It might be easier to clarify some smaller details over the phone: 212 721 7400 or on skype at m.gmat.

Best Wishes,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay

by piyushk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 pm
Thanks Caitlin. Appreciate your time.

Thanks, Piyush