RE: Online course

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

RE: Online course

by UBCwannabe » Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm
Hello,

I am new to the GMAT and like the idea of following a comprehensive program of study. I am aware of Manhattan's reputation and have a couple questions.

I am currently 15 months from the completion of my BBA. I have to apply to the UBC MBA program before December 2010, and I am currently studying full time. I have a 160 LSAT score so my verbal skills are not bad but my quant is nonexistent :)

Is the online program self paced? Is this a reasonable amount of time to devote to the course if I study about 12-15 hours per week for the next 5 months?

Also, does the quant. start from a very basic level? I am good at math, but it's been over 5 years since I last studied finance and stats, and I don't remember any of it. lol

Any information you can provide me will help me decide if this course is for me.

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 am
Hi, somehow I missed this email earlier. Apologies!

To answer your questions:
Is the online program self paced? Is this a reasonable amount of time to devote to the course if I study about 12-15 hours per week for the next 5 months?
The benefit of the guided self study program is that it is self paced. We give you a syllabus that you can follow, along with a detailed study tracker, and all of the online and physical material you need to do well, but you can go at your own pace. Usually, we have our students complete the material in 9 weeks (which is the length of our course) and then take another 2-3 weeks to revise before taking the exam. We then suggest that they make sure they schedule enough time so that if they wish to take the exam a second time (and you can take the GMAT every 31 days) they still have the time. There's about 15 hours of work a week if you wanted to keep up.

So, the short answer, is that you have plenty of time to be prepared to take the exam by December. For a better idea of a timeline and how to prepare, try this article: https://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-s ... t-prep.cfm

Also, does the quant. start from a very basic level? I am good at math, but it's been over 5 years since I last studied finance and stats, and I don't remember any of it. lol
We are very aware of that issue! In fact, part of your materials is a book called Foundations of GMAT Math which takes you through those basic concepts that you might not remember. If you choose to go with the Guided Self Study Prep Plus, you'll also have access to the two online workshops called Foundations of Math, which go over those concepts as well.

If you have any further questions, feel free to give us a call at 1 800 576 4628 or email us at [email protected]

Best Wishes,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by UBCwannabe » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 am
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted student services and enrolled :)

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am
Glad to hear it! Thanks, and let us know how it goes!

Best,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT