combining mgmat with other material

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

combining mgmat with other material

by krajy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:31 pm
I'm thinking about taking the mgmat class but wanted to get opinion on whether it makes sense to combine books from other courses to supplement my study. For example, I've read the various self study posts and got good feedback about the Kaplan 800 book. Is this a good strategy or do you recommend sticking with mgmat only?

Also, the class is 9 weeks but when do you recommend taking the actual test? Wait too long: you forget and get tired. Take it quickly: not enough time to supplement your studies.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:09 pm
Hi krajy,

Everyone's GMAT test prep experience is different and no one way is going to work for everyone. With that said, ManhattanGMAT's books are designed to be used with our 9-Session Course, whereas the Kaplan book is different in style and structure. Hence, whether you choose to use ManhattanGMAT books exclusively or with the Kaplan book is completely up to you. If you feel like it will help you study for the exam, then why not go for it? Just be sure it doesn't replace your ManhattanGMAT course books while you are enrolled in a class since it's important to stay current.

As for the length of time to wait until after your last class to take the exam, I would say that you should wait until you are absolutely ready, which will differ depending on where you are when the class ends. If you're testing around your target score, study for an additional 2 weeks to one month after the class ends and then take your test right afterwards. If you need more work, then you might have to study for longer.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628