Expectation from MGMAT CAT ???

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

Expectation from MGMAT CAT ???

by rajibgmat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:39 pm
Hello friends,

I purchased the Manhattan SC guide and received the 6 CATs free. For the last three days, I tried the first three CATs and my scores are pretty consistent, which are as follows :-

CAT # 1 690 Q49 V35
CAT # 2 690 Q48 V36
CAT # 3 690 Q48 V33

I am going to appear for GMAT on DEC 20'. Can you please tell me what I should expect from these scores ? Will I be able to cross the hurdle of 700 ?
I am gonna get u my love(GMAT)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:37 pm
Hi rajibgmat,

I believe I answered this question via e-mail this morning. For the sake of other readers, I'll post the response here:

Based on your results, I can’t conclusively say what your score is going to be for a few reasons. The first is that while the ManhattanGMAT practice tests are accurate, they do have a standard error of roughly 50 points (by comparison, the GMAT has a standard error of 30 points). However, because you consistently scored in the 690 range, it would appear that the standard deviation would be slightly lower, causing your score to be between 660 – 720. These results are also consistent with your performance on GMATPrep; however, because you have taken the exam so many times, it’s impossible to say that your success is due to content knowledge or simply seeing the same questions over and over again.

What I would say from here on out is to not worry about practice tests. They do nothing but gauge where you are currently testing. In order to build new skills, you must study the content of the exam by practicing real GMAT questions you have not seen or by studying content from Strategy Guides.

Also, keep in mind that even if your “true” ability level were a 710, this does not guarantee your score on test day! Remember, the GMAT itself has a standard error of 30 points. This means that if your “true” level was a 710, then you have a 2/3 chance of scoring in the range of 680 – 740!

Hence, what you need to do is go into test day as prepared as possible. Practice your timing, practice the content, and be prepared since this is all you can do. Don’t go in with a numerical expectation because it will distract you from the test – go in with the expectation that you will give it your all.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by rajibgmat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:59 pm
Thanks...Just a small correction.

CAT 3rd score was 670.

I scored 680 on Test 4th now. two more to go.
I am gonna get u my love(GMAT)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Donkey_man_88 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm
Hey Raj,

How did you do on GMAT on December 20th? Did you find a strong correlation between the MGMAT exams and the real Gmat? Just curious because I find the real verbal to be quite tough.