Challenge Problem Archive has repeat questions from MG CATs?

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi..

I had purchased the Manhattan GMAT Computer Adaptive Practice Exams and have been using them since past 3 months. I wish to have more practice material from Mahattan and thus wish to purchase the "Challenge problem archive". But what is holding me back is the doubt whether the challenge problems archive will contain any repeat questions from the 6 MG CATs. Please confirm whether they are independent of the MG CATS and no questions are repeated.

Also, i wish to know if you have any Challenge archive for the verbal section. Sure its not there on the Manhattan GMAT store online but still i wish to check if anything has come up recently.

kindly suggest asap.

thanking you,

nix

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:18 am
hi -

the challenge problem archive definitely doesn't contain any repeated problems from the cat exams. in fact, the challenge problems are what we informally call "900 level problems": i.e., they're generally of a difficulty level far higher than that of anything you'll realistically see on the actual exam.
they're good fun, but you should reserve them for after you've achieved true mastery of the quant problems that are at realistic difficulty levels. no sense trying to fly if you're still having trouble walking.

as far as i know, there is no challenge problem archive for verbal.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:53 pm
Hi,

Have you guys stopped posting the weekly challenge questions on the Manhattan site. I used to have fun solving those problems but havent seen it for some time on the site.

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:35 pm
gabriel wrote:Hi,

Have you guys stopped posting the weekly challenge questions on the Manhattan site. I used to have fun solving those problems but havent seen it for some time on the site.

Regards
they're now part of the paid member area. if you want more details about access, you can email [email protected].

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am
Dear Ron,

I am eager to buy that Challenge Problem Archive. Is it an updated one?
How far it mimics Real GMAT Quants?
Does it target candidates aspiring for 50/51 levels.?
What are the topics generally it covers?
How realistic is to practice them for Real GMAT? Does it Mimic real one's?

plz share your view.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 am
gmatmachoman wrote:Dear Ron,

I am eager to buy that Challenge Problem Archive. Is it an updated one?
How far it mimics Real GMAT Quants?
Does it target candidates aspiring for 50/51 levels.?
What are the topics generally it covers?
How realistic is to practice them for Real GMAT? Does it Mimic real one's?

plz share your view.
it's actually still being updated weekly, even though it was yanked from the front page a couple of years ago. if you've already purchased the practice tests, you should actually have access to it (it's online, in the student center -- if you can access the student center, you should be able to access the challenge problem archive).

the problems in the archive are based on actual GMAT problems/topics. many of them are extended to a difficulty level that would exceed anything you'd actually see on the exam (hence the "900 level" designation above -- that wasn't a joke); others correspond to harder-level actual gmat problems.
the easiest of the challenge problems are probably on par with 600-700 level, but there aren't many of those.

it's a quant-only archive.

what do you mean by "does it mimic real gmat's"?
if you mean literally "mimic" -- as in "we take exactly the same problems and change them around just a little bit" -- no, it doesn't do that. not only would that have zero utility for you (you wouldn't learn anything beyond what you've already learned from the original problem), but that would be a copyright issue, too.
if you're asking whether these problems test the same topics that are tested on the real exam, yes, they do.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron