What to do second time around ?

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

What to do second time around ?

by surajsagi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 pm
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT few weeks back and got a 650 (49, 30v), since i am not satisfied with the score i plan to retake the exam in first week of Dec.

What went wrong for me
- Weak in verbal (i used to get 32-36 during my practise sessions)
- Mismanaged my time (Happened with me for the first time). Had 20 questions in pipeline with only 30 min in pocket. Hence, i paniced and started solving questions at a very fast pace (I think i went wrong here). Now that i look back, i probably should i spend 2 min per question on 12-15 questions and marked the remaining on feel good factor

Areas of concern - Verbal
- CR - Going thru Powerscore right now, seems to be useful. Will come to know the full impact once i am done with the book. Rest i only plan to solve question. It used to be strength area, but i faced lot of problem during the exam (I think it was a major time eater for me)
- RC - I use the MGMAT appraoch and saw improvement in the score, so will continue doing it
- SC - My biggest area of concern. Plan to change my appraoch rather find an approach - spend more time on analysis and less time on solving the question. Plan to redo OG 10, 11, Kaplan and read MGMAT SC book again. I also plan to skim through Wren & Martin (Not sure what is the best way to study it - any comments)

Road Blocks
- Practise Material - I had covered OG 10 and 11 twice during my first attempt and now that i try to solve the questions again, i cant, coz i remember the answers
- SC Approach - I have clear RC (making notes) and CR (Conclusion method) approah in mind, therefore i have not faced significant problem with them. However, i DONT have any strategy for how to tackle SC question - what do i do when i read a question
- Eliminiate options one by one - based on 8 type of errors
- Look for basic errors i.e. subject verb, pronouns, idoms (suggested by a spanish IBanker on the forum) and rest is on feel good factor
- Any other approach ??

Guys pls pls help me on this

Thanks,
SM

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm
Hi! This folder is actually to ask about our products and services. Your question would be most appropriate for the Strategy folder - and then you can get answers from multiple experts, not just me! Unfortunately, I don't have the capability to move your thread to the right folder, so you'll have to re-post it.

If you would definitely like me to answer, then after you re-post it, just send me a link to the thread via PM. I'll follow the link and answer it!

p.s. If you took one of our classes or bought one of our self-study options, you may be eligible for a free Post Exam Assessment. This is a phone call with an instructor to develop a game plan for re-taking the test. Contact [email protected] to request the PEA.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by surajsagi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:09 pm
Hi,

I have posted my queries in the strategy section

https://www.beatthegmat.com/what-to-do-s ... 20212.html

Thanks,
SM

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:09 am
Just to re-iterate Stacey's response, members, please do not post your strategy or problem questions here. This is a forum for discussing MGMAT products and services, or receiving technical support.

Thanks,
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school