Kaplan free practise test (640)- finished before time

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730
Just gave my Kaplan free practice test and score 640(Q43,V37). The bad part is (I am kcking myself for that still) i finished off the Quant section in 52 minutes and verbal in 64 miutes. I just couldnt manage time in the right way.

I have my GMAT in May and almost 2 weeks into my prep.
People normally have trouble finishing off section in the required time, but I seem to be in a hurry. I thought there wouldnt be enough time and so hurried through.This is the first time I am taking a full length test.

Any tips on how to tackle this. Its worrying :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by BellTheGMAT » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:02 am
rohu27 wrote:Just gave my Kaplan free practice test and score 640(Q43,V37). The bad part is (I am kcking myself for that still) i finished off the Quant section in 52 minutes and verbal in 64 miutes. I just couldnt manage time in the right way.

I have my GMAT in May and almost 2 weeks into my prep.
People normally have trouble finishing off section in the required time, but I seem to be in a hurry. I thought there wouldnt be enough time and so hurried through.This is the first time I am taking a full length test.

Any tips on how to tackle this. Its worrying :(
wud suggest u to analyse nd figure out the sections in which u didnt do well - first broad classification like SC/ CR/ RC nd then drilling more into sub classifications such as modifiers/ sub verb agreement/ logical meaning/ .... try to concentrate n spend more time on ur weak areas.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 pm
Hi Rohu,

The last thing you want to be doing on the Quant section is more math, so "okay, 75 minutes minus the 53 I've spend divided by 37 questions minus the 25 I've answered...." is right out.

The first thing you should do is figure out what your pacing should be. Are you making mistakes on the first ten questions, or are you doing well at the beginning and making errors only once the CAT ramps up the difficulty? It's clear you need to slow down, but that analysis will tell you where.

Then, do a little math, and figure out where you want to be at certain milestones. Based on the pacing plan that you've developed, decide what the clock should be when you've punched in question 10, 20, and 30. Every test, peek at the clock on those questions; that will let you know if it's time to slow yourself down and pick up some extra points, or pick up the pace to make sure you finish on time!

Hope this helps--let me know if Kaplan can do anything else to get you ready for the test!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage