Kaplan Ultimate Practice Test-Question

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan Ultimate Practice Test-Question

by On My Way » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 am
I received my score back from the UTP through Kaplan, and got a 370. EEK. I didnt prep at all for the practice test, so I basically went in blind. Two questions-1. Is this a decent score considering the factors listed above, and 2. Does the UTP score factor in the 2 essay questions at the beginning of the test?

Many thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am
Hi there,

I'm not sure I'm entirely clear...you are taking a course with us, but you hadn't done any preparation before taking the Ultimate Practice Test? We generally recommend taking that Ultimate Practice Test at the END of the studies, final few weeks, after taking the rest of the 8 CATs.

That is certainly a low score, well below the average GMAT score for all test-takers (540). I would suggest you spend time working through the assignments in your prep course including the CATs to develop your skills....the GMAT DOES take a significant amount of practice and study time, both reviewing content and practicing strategy and questions. Plus developing your time management and endurancy by taking full length tests. According to GMAC research, 700+ scorers say that they spend on average 116 hours prepping for the exam.

Best,
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

In Response

by On My Way » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 am
Hi Jen,

Thanks for the response. First, yes I am registered to take classes through Kaplan, they begin on Jan. 31st. However I was never informed by anyone at Kaplan when to take the UPT. On the course syllabus, it says to register for the UPT before the CATs begin. So therefore, I assumed that the UPT was how Kaplan was going to generate an initial score and assist with building my skillset and preparing me for the real GMAT. Since it was "practice", I did not prepare.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 am
Hi there,

First of all, apologies for the apparent mis-understanding. In the GMAT Orientation video on your syllabus, and certainly at the first session, there would be explanations as to how the course works, the Ultimate Practice Test, and the Diagnostic test.

We do have you register for the UPT early so as to get the date/time you desire at Pearson, but we usually recommend taking it towards the end of your studies (and it's listed at the end of the syllabus with a reminder to take it).

We give all students a Diagnostic Test on the first day of class that serves as that baseline score. Then throughout the course, you have 8 CATs to take online, plus the UPT, to serve as practice and to gauge your progress.

The good news is, since you haven't started your prep at all, you shouldn't worry too much about that first score (that was why I had been surprised/confused, as most people take UPT at the end). Certainly you can use your Smart Reports on your syllabus to analyze how you did on the UPT and identify your strengths and weaknesses, and if there are areas such as basic math content you need to review that you want to start now, before 1/31, that will only help you. Otherwise, plan to follow your assignments before/after each class session as laid out on the syllabus once your course begins. You'll still have the 8 CATs (plus 2 GMAT Prep CATs) to take throughout the course and towards the end of your studies, but now that you did the UPT at least you know what to expect at the testing center, so all should be fine.

Good luck with your course and let me know if you have other questions!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member