Thinking about the QUIZ BANK

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Thinking about the QUIZ BANK

by piyushdabomb » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 pm
Hi,

I am seriously thinking about using the quiz bank but I need a few questions answered (I've called Kaplan and they never returned my call!):

> Does the quiz bank have any full tests?
> How would I know exactly which categories my weakneesses fall into? Does quiz bank have a full exam or parts of an exam with multiple different topics and for those I get wrong I can practice?
> How accurate are these questions?
> In one post I read that I should keep practicing CAT based exams. Aren't there any CAT based exams here?
> Does the quiz bank monitor my overall improvement over certain sections?
> If I'm targeting for an 800 on the GMAT, is it safe to say that the "hard" difficuly level questions can bring me within 50 points of it?
> Is the quiz bank portable so I can work online from anywhere? I want to do this at work and at home.

I'll purchse this depending on your responses. I just scored miserably on one of my exams and I need to move quickly.
-------------------
Sincerely,

Piyush A.

GMAT Score:650

by jsl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 am
I don't work for Kaplan but I purchased the quiz bank. I love it - TONNES of questions and they are good quality. They aren't identical to real GMAT questions but this is to be expected.

Don't waste your money on Kaplan full tuition though. Just go for the quiz bank.

by piyushdabomb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:50 am
Can someone else detail out my questions?
-------------------
Sincerely,

Piyush A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

Quiz Bank

by Jen Kedro » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:57 am
Hi,

The Quiz Bank is a feature our students do say they really like, because it allows you to practice with targeted sets of questions, so you can focus on exactly what YOU need to work on, in terms of question types, topics, and difficulty level.

It consists of a bank of just over 1000 questions, and you effectively build your own quizzes by entering what types of parameters you'd like to practice with whenever you access it. Full explanations are provided. You can certainly access it anywhere you can access the internet, and the enrollment lasts for 3 months. Questions are designed to mimic actual GMAT questions and to be as realistic as possible. If you consistently get the most difficult questions correct, that would certainly be an indication that you would be capable of scoring in the top percentiles on the exam. Though keep in mind, on test day, to GET to the toughest questions, you must do extremely well on the average level questions, so be sure you are good at those too! Quiz Bank does not include full CATs, as it is more designed to drill your specific strengths and weaknesses in between practicing with CATs.

As for CATs, our enrolled students (in our live or comprehensive online courses) get access to 9 CATs. A few are also available when you purchase some of our retail books. And GMAT Prep, created by the testmakers, provides 2 additional CATs for free which are a great resource.

Good luck with your decision and your prep!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

by piyushdabomb » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:00 pm
How do I take a CAT just on MATH rather than the whole exam to see where I am with it? I need to know that after working on a math section, I"VE MASTERED IT!
-------------------
Sincerely,

Piyush A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:17 am
Hi again,

We generally recommend when taking CATs, that you do take the entire thing (at least math and verbal) in order to get a realistic score. Remember that your overall score is made up of both math and verbal. Plus, you want to be prepared for the length and stamina needed to do well on a 3.5 hour exam. Then focus on how you did on math when you review the exam. Or for more targeted practice, use Quiz Bank or other resources to practice specific types of math problems.

Best of luck!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member