Unable to run the GMAT Premier 2012 CD ROM on Windows 7

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I installed the Kaplan Premier 2012 CD ROM companion on my Windows 7 (64bit Enterprise Edition) PC, but when I try to run the application, I get the 'MCI driver error' as shown below.

I tried running the application in XP and Vista compatibility mode, but it didn't help.

Can somebody from Kaplan please help me with this issue? I need to start taking the Kap Test CAT tests ASAP as my test date is fast approaching!

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:49 am
Hi Saint,

The CD is outdated and isn't even included with our newer books, because all of the stuff is available through the web! You can log in at www.kaptest.com and register your book and access all of your quizzes, tests, and workshops through your online student center. If you have any further technical difficulties, you can email [email protected] for help; please cc me at [email protected] so I can make sure that you are helped promptly!

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by saintforlife » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:19 am
Hi Eli, thanks for the quick reply! I have already registered online at kaptest.com.

Quick question - Does the online student center have everything that is in the CD or are the tests and quizzes different? Would you recommend just sticking to the online resources during test prep if someone is hard pressed for time?

Also just as a follow-up to my OP, I found this solution to the MCI driver problem. Hope this helps others who face the same issue. This solution worked for me:
Go to Control Panel, then go to System & Security, from there, click on System. On the left hand panel, click on "Device Manager". Click on "Sound" or "Multimedia". Then, disable all sound devices (i.e. double click and hit the "disable" button. DO NOT uninstall!!! This will allow you to run the program. Remember to enable the sound devices again or your computer will not have sound.:-) Hope this helps!