Top Schools Acceptances?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

Top Schools Acceptances?

by money9111 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm
As candidates begin to hear back from schools (I know HBS R1 decisions are out)... I was hoping to hear some success stories. Then I realized something... Most people frequented this forum during their GMAT studying process and shortly thereafter. Once applications are out, there really isn't a need for them to come back. It's definitely appreciated when they do though. I wonder if there's a way to keep these candidates engaged as they begin hearing back from schools.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 am
money9111 wrote:As candidates begin to hear back from schools (I know HBS R1 decisions are out)... I was hoping to hear some success stories. Then I realized something... Most people frequented this forum during their GMAT studying process and shortly thereafter. Once applications are out, there really isn't a need for them to come back. It's definitely appreciated when they do though. I wonder if there's a way to keep these candidates engaged as they begin hearing back from schools.
Hi money9111,

The goal is to keep candidates here for the entire b-school process. From the GMAT to acceptance to schools. The b-school forums were revamped in the last few months to improve in this area. Also, we established the ask a current student forum to help out the candidates with any questions they may have about the schools.

If you have any other ideas to keep candidates engaged, feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to discuss with Eric.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by togrey12 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Haven't been back much since completing my GMAT earlier this year, but here is the story:

690 GMAT
2.5 yrs consulting work exp
3.9 GPA
Accepted R1 to Kellogg > withdrew apps from Darden and Kelley

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm
togrey12 wrote:Haven't been back much since completing my GMAT earlier this year, but here is the story:

690 GMAT
3.9 GPA
Congrats on the admit!! Care to share your application experience?

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:01 pm
Wow yes definitely congratulations!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by togrey12 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm
dmateer25 wrote:
togrey12 wrote:Haven't been back much since completing my GMAT earlier this year, but here is the story:

690 GMAT
3.9 GPA
Congrats on the admit!! Care to share your application experience?
Sure.

I'll begin with the GMAT. Perhaps one of the best decisions I made throughout the entire process was sitting for the GMAT in May 2009. Taking the test early in the year accomplished two things: 1) gave me the opportunity to re-take if I didn't reach my target score and 2) allowed plenty of time to scuplt my story and draft essays. Although I didn't reach my target GMAT score of 700, I decided not to re-take the test - I was burned out and felt that the extra time would be better spent on my application.

I visited each target school before submitting my application, paying special attention to the official open houses. During each of the visits, I made it a point to establish a relationship with one student or member of the admissions committee that I could contact for questions and feedback. This was invaluable. I would also like to recommend that each applicant take a closer look at both Darden and Kelley. Kellogg served as the best fit for me, but I was more than impressed with UVA's and IU's admissions committees/students.

Interviews are tricky. Despite each schools themes and guidelines, each interviewer is on the lookout for different characteristics. Some great advice I received: "Mirror their demeanor - do not try to make the situation more or less formal." I did my best to show that I was not only intelligent, but also personable. These interviewers are constantly asking themselves, "How would I like being stuck on a team with this guy/girl?"

Receiving early notification from Kellogg made the waiting game easier, but stay confident and maintain interactions with your contacts at each schools - don't let them forget about you!

My profile is not the most impressive nor unique, but I differentiated myself through the essays and established a personal connection with current students, faculty, and admissions committee members. Play to your strengths. Best of luck to each of you.