710. Now what? Apply in Round 1?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

710. Now what? Apply in Round 1?

by yearzack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:41 pm
So I just took the GMAT and scored a 710. I am reluctant to apply to schools in Round 1. I spent a majority of my time focusing on the GMAT instead worrying about essays. I am just curious if I should try and rush my essays and apply in Round 1 or spend a little more time and apply in Round 2.

A little background on me. I am a 25 year old white male. I went to a state school in California while on Active Duty. I graduated in 2 years with an Economics degree. My GPA was a 3.54. I am Marine Corps Officer, so all of my experience is military related. I have 7 years of leadership experience.

I am curious as to what schools I would be competitive for? As with everyone on this forum I would love to attend a top-ten school. I am searching for more than GPAs and GMAT scores because I know there is so much more to application than just GMAT scores and GPAs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pardon for my forum etiquette, this is not my usual medium.

by uniq01 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:33 pm
Hello yearzack,

You're right in hesitating to apply in round 1, even though your message was posted a couple of weeks ago. Most Round 1 deadlines are in the third week of September, and as you rightfully pointed out there's much more to a quality application package than GPAs and GMAT scores. You need to give yourself time to craft a coherent story, prepare and draft good essays and various statement responses throughout the application, prepare for interviews not to mention networking with the school and possibly connecting with alums or current students.

From the information you've provided so far, I think you stand a good chance and should target round 2 for top 10 schools. Perhaps you could add a couple of top 20 as well to your application pool just to play it safe. I commend you for your military service and want to assure you this is something that is much appreciated by many top schools bc your rise to a MC officer exemplifies many of the elements (particularly leadership) you will need to be successful in B-school and beyond. It's a matter of knowing your strengths, and career goals to determine which schools will provide the best environment for you to excel ie best fit.

Trust in your potential and do well.
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

by yearzack » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:40 pm
Thank you very much for the insight. I will be applying to schools in Round 2. When I spoke with numerous schools, veterans, and admissions departments they have all recommended what you have said. Thank you for your help. There is much to be done, and always never enough time :)

by uniq01 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:31 pm
Absolutely, glad to help! You have some time as long as you don't procrastinate and run up against deadlines at the last minute. I often say, PLAN your work and WORK your plan.

Best of luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!