My journey to a top business school...

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My journey to a top business school...

by followurdreams » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm
Hi all--

First, I would like to let you know that i got admitted to Ross School of Business. I am super thrilled as Ross was my top choice. I would like to share my experience as it may provide some insights into my journey. I would like re-emphasize that you have to give equal importance to all the components of the application package. A good GMAT score certainly helps but more importantly, its your story that will help you secure a spot. I began my journey in 2010. I always wanted to get my mba from a top school. My mindset was simple: get >700 on GMAT and i can get into any top business school. So, i signed up for a prep course. Due to personal reasons, i couldnt fully dedicate time on GMAT and i ended up wasting money! After few years, in 2012, i was more motivated than ever to take my GMAT. For the next year and half, i invested alot of time and money to really ace the exam. Honestly, I didnt succeed in beating the gmat. I don't want to summarize my experience with GMAT as there are plenty of great posts on this website on how to ace the exam. One thing i would suggest is to know your strengths and weaknesses and invest significant time to improve upon your weaknesses. During this time, I tried to find out why i want to get my MBA. I was really trying to figure out how an MBA would help me build my career. A career that I am passionate to follow for the next 10 or 20 years! Once I answered the WHY MBA, it was easy for me to filter the schools, prepare my essays, resume and interviews. In my opinion, the WHY MBA played a crucial role in my application process because it helped me be myself in my essays and the interviews. It helped me connect the story I was trying to tell the admissions committe. I really was myself during the interviews. The energy, enthusiasm, and the excitement during the interview was all ME. If you can focus on the WHY MBA, it will help you with the other components of the application process. Take time to visit the campus, classes, etc. it helped me figure out whether i fit in. From my experience, i learned that the time i invested to prepare for my exam was as important as the time i invested to figure out why i want to earn the degree. If i were to apply to schools in 2010, i am sure that i wouldnt have gotten the admission because i honestly didnt know why i wanted to get an MBA! My advice is that invest time in yourself to truly dig deeper on WHY MBA. I hope my post was helpful!

Good luck with everything! Follow your dreams. Dont't ever give up!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kaustubhk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 pm
Good Work!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by:1 members

by vivek1303 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 pm
Wow! I wish you had shared your success story in a bit more detailed fashion. Great job though..!

by shitalpagare » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:31 pm
Great..

by Saya Charming » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:35 am
Interesting and Good work.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Re: My journey to a top business school...

by Garryb » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 pm
Wow. Amazing :clap:

Congratulations! Your story is really inspiring

Re: My journey to a top business school...

by Kevin32 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 pm
interesting information

I Just love your Blog super interesting and informative