670 in GMAT - Retake or Start Applying

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

670 in GMAT - Retake or Start Applying

by luckyagarwal » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and scored 670. Quant 49 and Verbal 31.

I have a total work experience of 3 years and I am currently in US for last 1.5 years.
I work in IT industry and did my under-graduation from Mumbai University in India with 74% ( considered on a higher side). I was actively involved in extra curricular activities during my graduation: Technical head of college,head of entrepreneurship cell. I would want to pursue a course in general management or entrepreneurship.

Can someone please suggest some top universities for which I might stand a chance for full-time?

I don't want to take the GMAT again since I am already late in the application process.

Thanks in advance,
Lucky

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 am
Hi Lucky,

GMAT is a bit low given the stiff competition among the Asian student pool for US B-schools. International experience is a positive though.

Please tell me more about your experience in terms of leadership experiences you had at work, team size handled etc. Even if you were not in a direct managerial role, there would have been times when you would have shown leadership. Any client-facing projects with quantified impact? Any promotions, awards at work? Do talk a bit more about your international experience. And I'll help you more.

Regards,
Varun
[email protected]
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by luckyagarwal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am
Hi Varun,

Thanks for showing interest in my post.

Though I am not in direct managerial role but have a good hands on handling project delivery end to end and coordinating among different teams.I am in a direct client facing role and most of my job profile is to do consultation work for client in my related technology and then drive the project to its end both from technical as well as management perspective. I can list out numerous example where in I got to show the leadership skills and that has made a difference to the over all delivery of my company in a positive way. All my projects our client facing and I have regular Knowledge Transition and presentation for clients.

I was promoted with the top ranking among my peers and that is the reason I got the opportunity to be on an onsite role in the first year of my job after graduating which is unusual in our company.I have won awards for best performer among my peer groups.

With regards to my international experience. My role shifted from more technical to managing projects, handling client requirements, provide consultation for the technology I work in, Drive initiatives that makes the existing process efficient and handle end to end delivery and help bring in more work for my company. I was lucky enough to get the opportunities to show my leadership skill at and early stage in my career and have been doing so on regular basis. The driving factor for me be on an client facing role is I managed and delivered a particular project that was long due from our company. That project required to co-ordinate among various team and my work was highly appreciated both by client and our internal leadership. Since then I have delivered many projects.

During my stay here is US I have also enrolled in community services. There is a program called Meals on Wheels. We deliver food to old people once in a week.

Also during my undergraduate course I received scholarship from JRD Tata trust based on my academic performance. I was Technical head for my college and represented college at National Tech Festivals.
I was also the co-founder of Entrepreneurship Cell in my college.

While is high school, I was awarded the Student of the Year award in my 10th Standard for my overall academic results and conduct in school.

Thanks,
Lucky