Tutoring

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tutoring

by Syrian » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 am
Ian:

I agree with you to some extent. However, you need to fully understand that there are some people that need a little extra help with different subjects. For me, it's math. I've been out of high school for some time and needless to say trying to remember how to figure out geometry, algebra and sometimes-basic math can be hard. I want to let you know that I took honors math in HS and I graduated early. So I'm not dumb, it's just that I cannot ask the books (PR, Kaplan, OG) how did you get that answer? Especially, when I've worked on the problem 3 times and I'm still getting the same answer. It's frustrating and then to see a posting ridiculing me for wanting to get a tutor is really not fair.

I respect everyone's opinion but just put yourself in my position. It's hard knowing that I only have 8 weeks before the test and yet I am not doing well on the practice tests. Also, keep in mind that I work full time 7am-6pm Mon-Fri. I make sure that I study at least 3-4 hours per week and at least 6-8 over the weekend. I am not lazy and I am very much discipline. I must admit that there have been times that I have felt like giving up but I've never done that before and I am not going to start now.

I want to share this information with you and others because I know that I am not the only one who is experiencing these problems.

It's funny because I was encouraged by Eric to post my feelings on this site but now I feel like I should not have because I am being criticized for wanting to get a tutor.

I want to add one final comment. I have NEVER had a Tutor for Music and I can play 6 instruments.

Syrian :x

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Re: Tutoring

by 800guy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:27 pm
Syrian wrote:Ian:

I agree with you to some extent. However, you need to fully understand that there are some people that need a little extra help with different subjects. For me, it's math. I've been out of high school for some time and needless to say trying to remember how to figure out geometry, algebra and sometimes-basic math can be hard. I want to let you know that I took honors math in HS and I graduated early. So I'm not dumb, it's just that I cannot ask the books (PR, Kaplan, OG) how did you get that answer? Especially, when I've worked on the problem 3 times and I'm still getting the same answer. It's frustrating and then to see a posting ridiculing me for wanting to get a tutor is really not fair.

I respect everyone's opinion but just put yourself in my position. It's hard knowing that I only have 8 weeks before the test and yet I am not doing well on the practice tests. Also, keep in mind that I work full time 7am-6pm Mon-Fri. I make sure that I study at least 3-4 hours per week and at least 6-8 over the weekend. I am not lazy and I am very much discipline. I must admit that there have been times that I have felt like giving up but I've never done that before and I am not going to start now.

I want to share this information with you and others because I know that I am not the only one who is experiencing these problems.

It's funny because I was encouraged by Eric to post my feelings on this site but now I feel like I should not have because I am being criticized for wanting to get a tutor.

I want to add one final comment. I have NEVER had a Tutor for Music and I can play 6 instruments.

Syrian :x
i've been following these discussions for the last few days, and from the posts that i've read i haven't seen anyone criticizing you for your contemplating getting a tutor. i'm looking at these posts:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=671
https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=672

the consensus to me seems to be that tutoring may be a great way to tactically study for the GMAT. personally, i think it's an excellent option for you, given your tough work schedule.

if you think that a tutor will help you shore up your weaknesses in math more effectively than you could do it on your own--go for it!

look forwrad to hearing what you ultimately decide. good luck man.

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:22 pm
It is clear to me that my posting on tutoring was unclear. My intention was to promote the idea of hiring a tutor.

(As I've been working as a test-prep teacher and tutor for almost 18 years, my belief in the value of tutoring is extremely high. I must share that I was immensely surprised that my message wasn't seen as unabashed support for the benefit of tutoring.)

Clearly my message wasn't as straightforward as I presumed. I see in re-reading it that I had inadvertently come off as 'preachy.'

My tutoring students that derive the most value from my help work extremely hard. I tried to convey the importance of that effort in my initial posting. Somehow my intense feelings about the prepararation process came off the wrong way.

I understand Syrian that my posting upset you. For that I apologize. My intent when I post on this board (and in my professional life as a GMAT tutor) is to provide encouragement along with test-taking and content knowledge.

Again, Syrian, I wish you the best of luck in this tough endeavor. Tutoring can be immensely helpful. I stake my professional repuation on this fact.

Please feel free to contact me for anything related to GMAT and tutoring. (I assume that you are NOT NYC-based.) If you'd like some thoughts on selecting a tutor and/ or determining how to get the most from the tutoring process, let me know.
-------------------------------------------------------

One of the reasons that I asked Eric to be a moderator here is the positive and uplifting support that pervades this site. The positive vibes here can be truly meaningful.

I plan to contribute to those good vibes as much as I can.
Ian Streicher