Prep. Class For the Unholy GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Prep. Class For the Unholy GMAT

by t_j_b » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:43 am
I'm in a bit of a quandary, you see...I'm in my last term of undergrad. and I feel like in order to crack a 700+ score that I'll probably need to take a prep course somewhere. Here's the qualifier: I'm out of school Dec. 7, I can't miss school to take the class, I need to fly to Chile to see my fiance as soon as possible for a few weeks, and I start work in D.C. (I live in Oregon) in mid-late January.

I don't plan on starting b school for a couple of years so that I can build up some work experience, but I feel that it's probably best that I study for and take the GMAT while my study skills are at their peak.

My questions: 1) "how important/helpful are these prep courses?" 2) "how do I go about finding the best prep course since all of them advertise themselves as 'the best'?" 3) "When/how often are these courses offered?" and finally, 4) am I just S.O.L. and will I just have to start studying and take the test sometime after I've started work?

And if anyone has any other helpful "outside the box" solutions, please don't hesitate.

Thanks a lot

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Prep. Class For the Unholy GMAT

by beatthegmat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:12 pm
t_j_b wrote:I'm in a bit of a quandary, you see...I'm in my last term of undergrad. and I feel like in order to crack a 700+ score that I'll probably need to take a prep course somewhere. Here's the qualifier: I'm out of school Dec. 7, I can't miss school to take the class, I need to fly to Chile to see my fiance as soon as possible for a few weeks, and I start work in D.C. (I live in Oregon) in mid-late January.

I don't plan on starting b school for a couple of years so that I can build up some work experience, but I feel that it's probably best that I study for and take the GMAT while my study skills are at their peak.

My questions: 1) "how important/helpful are these prep courses?" 2) "how do I go about finding the best prep course since all of them advertise themselves as 'the best'?" 3) "When/how often are these courses offered?" and finally, 4) am I just S.O.L. and will I just have to start studying and take the test sometime after I've started work?

And if anyone has any other helpful "outside the box" solutions, please don't hesitate.

Thanks a lot
Hi t_j_b:

You don't necessarily need to take a GMAT prep course to do well on the GMAT. If you take some time to plan a strong study strategy and have 2-3 months to devote to consistent prep, you are capable of performing very well on the GMAT.

Take a look at my GMAT blog: https://www.beatthegmat.com

My blog can give you some ideas on how I approached my own GMAT prep.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school