Need Suggestion on books

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Suggestion on books

by JOHNMC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm
I have 2 book, OG 2012 and Kaplan 2017. Which is the best material to start with? I prefer going through one book as a base thoroughly while using the other as reference.

Inputs are much appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am
Hi JOHNMC,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have that initial score result, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Suggestion on books

by JOHNMC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am
Hi, I recently took GMAT and scored 430. I would like to score about 700 to enter into a top B- School. My observation was I knew the concepts but for me to secure higher percentile I need to practice problems as on GMAT. I would like to take it around March'19.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Hi JOHNMC,

Raising a 430 to the point that you could consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. That having been said, you will likely need to extend your study timeframe.

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT?
2) How long did you study before taking the Exam and what study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet? How have you scored on EACH of those CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?)
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]