Improve My Overall Score in the Last Leg of Preparation?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I have followed the 60 Day Beat the GMAT course online and now have reached the last leg of my revision. Now, is when I am asked to do mock tests repeatedly which is supposed to increase my score.

The last mock I scored 640 and in today's Veritas Mock I only got 620. This is despite having done the entire Quant and Verbal syllabus well.

My aim is 700+ in the next 16 days. Can someone please advise me how best can i steepen my score curve?

Also, is there any page (apart from Wiley) where I can access a mixed bag of questions so that I can get more practice?

It would be really helpful if someone could guide me in this stressful phase. Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:04 pm
Hi Mrrinali,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). Raising a 630 to a 700+ will likely require at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, that type of score gain in just 16 days might be too difficult to be considered realistic.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of these CATs?

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your most recent CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Mrrinali » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 pm
Thanks Rich.

Can anyone please suggest any free question banks where I can access questions online? (Like the GMAT Wiley)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:05 am
Mrrinali wrote:Thanks Rich.

Can anyone please suggest any free question banks where I can access questions online? (Like the GMAT Wiley)
Look no further<i class="em em-grinning"></i> : https://www.beatthegmat.com/official-gu ... 96755.html

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Mrrinali » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:42 am
Hey Brent, are these questions from the 2018 OG?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 am
Mrrinali wrote:Hey Brent, are these questions from the 2018 OG?
The resource labeled "OG2018" has questions from the 2018 OG
See: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/officia ... 18-library

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Mrrinali » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 am
Thanks Brent :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 pm
Hi Mrrinali,

It has been about a month since we last heard from you. Are you still studying for the GMAT? If so, do you have any further questions?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage