Which resources to use?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which resources to use?

by ArsalanS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:28 pm
I'm looking to start studying for the GMAT, I have 3-4 months before I intend to take the test.

Which resources should I use? There seem to be so many courses, at this point I'm looking for ideally a video course I can go over at my own pace.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:28 pm
Hi ArsalanS,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

Early last week, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you'll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Unfortunately, practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to switch over to those shorter CATs during your studies.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

edit

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 am
ArsalanS wrote:I'm looking to start studying for the GMAT, I have 3-4 months before I intend to take the test.

Which resources should I use? There seem to be so many courses, at this point I'm looking for ideally a video course I can go over at my own pace.

Thanks in advance.
Since you're looking for a video course to study at your own pace, I recommend (with full acknowledgement of bias) Manhattan Prep's Interact self-study course. This isn't simply a collection of videos that you watch passively. It's an interactive learning platform - you answer questions in real time, and it adapts the lesson based on what you answer / your preferences.

You also get access to the full suite of Mprep resources:
- 10 Mprep strategy guides
- 6+ full-length adaptive practice exams
- OG 2018
- GMAT Navigator, our proprietary OG progress tracking tool
- Atlas, our learning management system w/ comprehensive syllabus

More info here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/prep/on-demand/

Good luck with your studies!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education