Coach hunting

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Coach hunting

by bpegenaute » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am
Hello everyone,

Hope this note finds you all in great shape,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time of reading trough my post, I have no doubt this is a very busy time of the year and you have other more important things to be doing right now. Thanks.

Quick background: after having secured the sale of the unit I was hired to construct and develop for a Swiss start-up, I have decided to take upon the MBA challenge instead of continuing my work any further. Even though I think to be in what I consider a good career path, I believe the timing that this operation has happened, should be considered by me as the perfect spot to take the leap of faith and tick the executive education box in my CV. Since I never finished my degree (because I took onto an international management position) I find it very important for my career and learning process to acquire an A-Class school MBA (if I don't do it now I will need to wait for an EMBA, some 5+ years down the line). I can send my CV upon request, perhaps you, reader, my future coach, will find it an interesting read.

My target score is 730, I have outlined an application path for this year for different business schools in USA and EU which I will follow, in priority order:

Stanford: April 4th
Harvard: April 2nd
*These 2 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around March end.

LBE: April 20th
Cambridge: May 4th
Oxford: May 11th
*These 3 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around April 10th.

INSEAD: August 1st
IMD: August 1st
*These 2 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around July 15th.

Last bullet: IMD: September 1st

Whilst I am still employed I shall be able to study weekdays on a regular basis as well as weekends. I am accustomed to 80/100 hour weeks and have no fear on taking upon hard and tiring challenges so... Bring it on GMAT!

I welcome very much all the proposals that I could receive, I am looking at working alongside someone that can not only outline a plan, but also impart regular lessons on the hottest topics at the same time than progress follow ups. I have been looking at "off the shelf" programs but consider them to be too generalist and not cost-effective for what my target score is, plus I believe in giving opportunities to individuals. I'm sure there's really good professionals around in this forum that can help me out even better than big teaching centres!

Please consider that I am based in Switzerland, Skype/WhatsApp/email will be the preferred contact ways.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

I wish you a fantastic day and a productive week,

Thank you very much,

Blas,

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm
bpegenaute wrote:Hello everyone,

Hope this note finds you all in great shape,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time of reading trough my post, I have no doubt this is a very busy time of the year and you have other more important things to be doing right now. Thanks.

Quick background: after having secured the sale of the unit I was hired to construct and develop for a Swiss start-up, I have decided to take upon the MBA challenge instead of continuing my work any further. Even though I think to be in what I consider a good career path, I believe the timing that this operation has happened, should be considered by me as the perfect spot to take the leap of faith and tick the executive education box in my CV. Since I never finished my degree (because I took onto an international management position) I find it very important for my career and learning process to acquire an A-Class school MBA (if I don't do it now I will need to wait for an EMBA, some 5+ years down the line). I can send my CV upon request, perhaps you, reader, my future coach, will find it an interesting read.

My target score is 730, I have outlined an application path for this year for different business schools in USA and EU which I will follow, in priority order:

Stanford: April 4th
Harvard: April 2nd
*These 2 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around March end.

LBE: April 20th
Cambridge: May 4th
Oxford: May 11th
*These 3 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around April 10th.

INSEAD: August 1st
IMD: August 1st
*These 2 shall be grouped into a same GMAT test on or around July 15th.

Last bullet: IMD: September 1st

Whilst I am still employed I shall be able to study weekdays on a regular basis as well as weekends. I am accustomed to 80/100 hour weeks and have no fear on taking upon hard and tiring challenges so... Bring it on GMAT!

I welcome very much all the proposals that I could receive, I am looking at working alongside someone that can not only outline a plan, but also impart regular lessons on the hottest topics at the same time than progress follow ups. I have been looking at "off the shelf" programs but consider them to be too generalist and not cost-effective for what my target score is, plus I believe in giving opportunities to individuals. I'm sure there's really good professionals around in this forum that can help me out even better than big teaching centres!

Please consider that I am based in Switzerland, Skype/WhatsApp/email will be the preferred contact ways.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

I wish you a fantastic day and a productive week,

Thank you very much,

Blas,
The first thing you should do, before you even have that preliminary conversation with a tutor about crafting a plan, is take a practice test from mba.com: https://www.mba.com/us/store/download-f ... tware.aspx

Your performance on that first exam will provide important information about how your study plan should be balanced between quant and verbal, and will offer some insight into what resources might be most useful. You can either post the details here, or if you'd prefer a bit more privacy, simply hang on to that info so you can share it with a prospective tutor when you have that introductory discussion.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am
David is right - you need to start by taking a practice exam to see where you stand.

You're applying 3rd round to a lot of schools; this is generally not ideal. Most schools have accepted 80-90% of their class by the 3rd round, and they use the 3rd round to take in exceptional candidates - perhaps ones from unrepresented countries, unusual industries, etc. Broadly speaking, your prospects of getting in 3rd round this year are lower than your prospects 1st round in the fall.

You should schedule a consultation with an admissions consulting firm (after taking a practice exam) to see if it's worth it to try for 3rd round. Many of the firms featured in this forum offer free private consultations. I have personally worked closely with mbaMission and recommend them highly.

If you decide to move forward with GMAT studying, most major companies (including mine) offer online tutoring, so you'll have plenty of options. But take those 2 steps first!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education