Got 610 in GMATPrep; GMAT after 10 days. What to do?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi Teachers & Friends,
I really need your help to improve as much as possible in the next 10 days. I gave GMATPrep Test 1 today, & got just 610 (QA - 46, VA - 28 (SC: 10 Correct out of 17, CR: 9 correct out of 11, & RC: 5 correct out of 12)). I have already analyzed my performance, & have started to revise from MGMAT SC. I particularly get confused when I see having, its etc. , & have found them in some of the correct answers. After SC, I am planning to practice 10 RCs in Humanities section from OG, since I generally commit more mistakes in humanities passages.
Apart from some conceptual mistakes, I did some silly mistakes in QA, & I have already started working on eliminating those mistakes.
Please suggest me the best way to improve in the next 10 days.
Is there a doc or site from where I can quickly review the tricks related to both VA & QA? Please suggest me the plan. I will stick to whatever plan you good folks tell me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am
lotrgandalf wrote:Hi Teachers & Friends,
I really need your help to improve as much as possible in the next 10 days. I gave GMATPrep Test 1 today, & got just 610 (QA - 46, VA - 28 (SC: 10 Correct out of 17, CR: 9 correct out of 11, & RC: 5 correct out of 12)). I have already analyzed my performance, & have started to revise from MGMAT SC. I particularly get confused when I see having, its etc. , & have found them in some of the correct answers. After SC, I am planning to practice 10 RCs in Humanities section from OG, since I generally commit more mistakes in humanities passages.
Apart from some conceptual mistakes, I did some silly mistakes in QA, & I have already started working on eliminating those mistakes.
Is there a doc or site from where I can quickly review the tricks related to both VA & QA? Please suggest me the plan. I will stick to whatever plan you good folks tell me.
Here's my verbal crash course:

- Read voraciously everyday for 10 days. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Afterwards, review the official material you've worked through and see if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless. Then hit some fresh official tests: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm
Hi lotrgandalf,

Your post implies that you might be planning to take the Official GMAT in 10 days, but that might not be enough time to get you to your score goal. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by lotrgandalf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
lotrgandalf wrote:Hi Teachers & Friends,
Here's my verbal crash course:

- Read voraciously everyday for 10 days. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Afterwards, review the official material you've worked through and see if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless. Then hit some fresh official tests: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx
Thanks a lot David.

I retook gmat prep 1 today, & got 680 (QA 49, VA 34 (SC: 9/17 correct, CR: 8/11 correct, & RC 7/13 correct)) 3 questions repeated in QA & 3 questions repeated in VA. But, I didn't remember the answer to 1 verbal question.

Question: How much inflated is my score? Apart from revising MGMAT SC & OG once more, what else can I do to improve my SC score?

The technique/strategy suggested by you worked for me. Before the test, I thoroughly revised MGMAT SC booklet, & hoped that my SC score would improve more, but alas, it didn't improve much.