Any pointer/tips for CR speed

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Any pointer/tips for CR speed

by aim780 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 am
Hi Experts,

Could you guys share any tips/pointers to increase speed in CR?

How do I approach?
First I take a look at the type of question then I understand the argument(average 1'30")
second I try to think possible answer and thus assimilate argument(15")
Last I go by each choice and see how it affects the argument and do POE(average 1')
So overall I take 2' 30" to 3' in solving a CR.
My accuracy is around 70% in hard Gprep Questions.

Right now only thing I can think of reading speed and I am trying to solve as many CR questions as possible to increase speed and to find out any other problem.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajesh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:19 am
Hi Rajesh,

Much like the rest of the GMAT, CR prompts are predictable (the logic and 'design' of the prompts is consistent and even the wrong answer choices fall into consistent categories), so you CAN train to solve CR questions faster and with a higher degree of accuracy. Right now, your plan seems to hinge on quantity of work - you assume that the more CR questions you solve, the more likely you will be to improve. While that approach might work, it depends on your ability to teach yourself all of those patterns. Unfortunately, if you're not clear on all of those details, then you might end up getting 'stuck', with little to no improvement actually taking place. This is all meant to say that you might benefit from investing in certain practice materials that will teach you all of those patterns (and how to take advantage of them).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:57 am
Hi Rajesh.

Your first step, "First I take a look at the type of question then I understand the argument(average 1'30")" might be faster if you were to wait to look at the question until after you have read the prompt and first just focus on understanding the argument. Understanding the argument is the foundation of getting a CR question right. Reading the question first takes time, and having the question in mind while you are reading the argument can distract you from understanding the argument and cause you to take extra time.

Your next step, "second I try to think possible answer and thus assimilate argument(15")", is one that is often recommended, but taking that step is often unnecessary and can even lead to choosing wrong answers. So it is likely that you are taking time to do something that is not helping you get right answers.

Beyond considering those two ideas, you might actually speed up in CR by slowing down first. In other words, when you practice CR, you might be better off not worrying so much about the time spent per question and being more concerned with getting better at seeing the key details and understanding the logic of the questions. As you get better at doing those things, you will naturally speed up.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am
aim780 wrote:Hi Experts,

Could you guys share any tips/pointers to increase speed in CR?

How do I approach?
First I take a look at the type of question then I understand the argument(average 1'30")
second I try to think possible answer and thus assimilate argument(15")
Last I go by each choice and see how it affects the argument and do POE(average 1')
So overall I take 2' 30" to 3' in solving a CR.
My accuracy is around 70% in hard Gprep Questions.

Right now only thing I can think of reading speed and I am trying to solve as many CR questions as possible to increase speed and to find out any other problem.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajesh
The key to getting faster at CR isn't just doing a lot more CR problems. It's deeply analyzing the questions you've done to look for patterns. As Rich said, there are predictable patterns. The way to recognize them is to keep track of common themes.

Read this article on common logical gaps: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/tuto ... -flaws.cfm
Then, keep a google doc in which you copy + paste arguments (w/out answer choices) that fall into similar categories. One you get into the habit of making these connections, you'll be much faster at recognizing "oh, this is a correlation v. causation issue."

I actually disagree with Marty - I think reading the question first is the right approach. Knowing what type of question it is changes what you're looking for while you're reading the argument:
- Assumption - look for a logical gap between the premises given and the conclusion
- Evaluate - also look for a logical gap, and see which answer asks a question about it
- Strengthen/Weaken - again, find the logical gap, and find the answer that either upholds it or undermines it
- Draw Conclusion/Inference - think about what MUST be true given the premises
- Discrepancy - make sure you understand what the discrepancy is, and why it's a discrepancy. Look for the answer choice that keeps it - and the original condition - true.
- Argument Structure - make sure you know how to identify the main conclusion, supporting premises, and counterpoints

For Assumption, Evaluate, Strengthen, and Weaken, make sure you take time to identify the logical gap before looking at the answer choices.

Then, while you're working through the answer choices, pay attention to the exact wording of each answer choice. Focus on trying to prove 4 of them wrong, not pick 1 right one. Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 am
We have a two-step solution:

STEP 1.
I agree that the key to increasing speed on CR- - without sacrificing accuracy - - is getting to the point where you see the logic parts in the given paragraph/material (conclusion, inferences, assumptions, and supporting data (answering the why), and find patterns in how the argument is constructed, how questions are asked and how correct and incorrect answers are formed.

Learn the predictable patterns. The way to recognize them is to keep track of common themes that show up. One way to do this get yourself a swath of CRs, and don't do them. Just circle the answers and then engage with EACh question and answer. Ask yourself the following:

1. what are the parts of this argument?
2. what is the question asking?
3. why is the correct answer correct?
4. why did they offer these incorrect answers - - why are they incorrect?

Do not scrimp on this process. It will help hone your game.

STEP 2.
The second way to improve on CR is to uplevel your reading. How quickly are you reading now? If you can bump that up, to around 400 wpm, without compromising comprehension, you're golden.

It's a myth that we understand less when we read faster. Your brain can comprehend the equivalent of 4000 wpm. Yes. You read that right.If you're like most people, you likely read 150-250 wpm. So your job, then, should you choose to accept it...is to bridge this huge gap between what your brain is capable of and what your eyes are taking in. Take small steps and you'll be rewarded: increase your reading speed to 350 - 450 wpm, and then spend the time doing what gets you your score: answering questions correctly. To get up to speed with 100% comparable comrprehension of reading at the slower speed (if not better than before...that also happens)

Most of our students learn techniques to read more quickly. It's one of those life skills that makes a big difference on the test, averaging a 13% increase in Reading Comp scores alone...and only more with SC and CR questions. It's a no brainer. Uplevel your reading and speed and you increase your performance and score. If you want us to calculate your reading speed, or information on how you can quickly increase your speed... PM me.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c