Another One of Those... Veritas or Manhattan

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

After doing my research over the past 2 days, I have narrowed down my main prep course to either Veritas or Manhattan Prep. Reviews on both have been stellar, though it seems like Veritas slightly edges out the other when it comes to the sheer number of customer feedbacks, Veritas also seem to have better marketing as well.

I understand that both courses are great and the choice narrows down to the individual's style and preference in learning. When it comes to self knowledge, I am VERY MUCH of a learning by doing kind of guy, I do very well from practice loads and loads of questions. Lessons are great as well, but they are supplementary to comprehensive practice as a foundation.

Given my style, wondering which one of the two courses are more suitable? I heard that MGMAT's Quant and SC are great, and the former is even harder than the real thing? Is this true? If so, PERFECT. Just my style of learning. On the flip side, I have also heard that Manhattan GMAT's verbal is not as good as Veritas.

Also MGMAT only use OG questions, while Veritas has 3000 questions in a question bank??? This fact makes me lean toward Veritas.

Anyone help me decide?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:22 pm
hwang327 wrote:Hi,

After doing my research over the past 2 days, I have narrowed down my main prep course to either Veritas or Manhattan Prep. Reviews on both have been stellar, though it seems like Veritas slightly edges out the other when it comes to the sheer number of customer feedbacks, Veritas also seem to have better marketing as well.

I understand that both courses are great and the choice narrows down to the individual's style and preference in learning. When it comes to self knowledge, I am VERY MUCH of a learning by doing kind of guy, I do very well from practice loads and loads of questions. Lessons are great as well, but they are supplementary to comprehensive practice as a foundation.

Given my style, wondering which one of the two courses are more suitable? I heard that MGMAT's Quant and SC are great, and the former is even harder than the real thing? Is this true? If so, PERFECT. Just my style of learning. On the flip side, I have also heard that Manhattan GMAT's verbal is not as good as Veritas.

Also MGMAT only use OG questions, while Veritas has 3000 questions in a question bank??? This fact makes me lean toward Veritas.

Anyone help me decide?
I would like to add few more things that would help you to narrow down your choices.
You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

If you are opting for the online course/classes, you can take a trial of both the courses and see which one suits your needs.
If you are interested, you can try our online course too and can even arrange an hour with out tutor.

Bottom line: Try to take a trial of the course before deciding on one.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 am
hwang327 wrote:Hi,

Anyone help me decide?
My opinion is obviously biased, but I want to address a few of the things you said here:

- yes, Mprep uses a lot of OG problems in our course and in homework, because the best way to get to know the real test is to practice with real materials! We also have thousands of our own practice problems in question banks, books, and practice tests as well.

- anecdotally, many people find our quant *slightly* harder than on the real test, but that just means that you might expect a quant score of maybe 1 pt higher on the real test than on ours.

- both companies require 99th percentile official scores, but there are large differences in teaching qualifications. Manhattan Prep hires only 99th percentile scorers who also have extensive teaching experience, excellent teaching skills, and charisma! We go through 3-5 rounds of auditions/interviews before being hired, and hundreds of hours of training before we're certified to teach. That seems to stand in contrast to Veritas's policies, at least as outlined here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -training/
https://tmmycgmat.blocked/2008/04/h ... -prep.html
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education