New guy and now I stepped in it . . .

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New guy and now I stepped in it . . .

by young56 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm
Hi everyone, I'm the new guy, 56 years old, had a terrific career, now pursuing the Gmat, scared to death!! A week ago I was near retirement and had the world in my pocket. Then started thinking of alternative "careers" and came across the crazy idea of getting an MBA. Feel I really stepped into it today by ordering the full set of Manhatten gmat books and scribble board, the three official guides, and Kaplan 800 from Amazon. I mean, now I'm committed, and I'm fearful of looking like an old fool. Disturbing thoughts enter my head. Can a 56 year old really scrub those cobwebs out of his head?? What about family . . . son's a neurologist, daughters are an accountant and lawyer. How will I face them if I bomb? I've burnt my bridges behind me; I like it that way, but still terrified. Was or is anyone in a similiar situation? Thanks, and hello again . . . [/b]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:58 pm
Thanks young56 for that introduction, and welcome to the Beat The GMAT community!

I'm very inspired by your post--it's never too late to make a big shift in your life, and if you have a good reason to pursue your MBA to achieve your next career goals, then that will go a long way in helping your admissions.

I heard about a 59-year old who was recently admitted to MIT Sloan. It can be done.

Bottom line is this: in my opinion, the best thing that you can do for yourself is to think about a rock-solid story that explains to admissions committees why you need an MBA now. And why you are a good investment for the school too.

GMAT and other things are probably less important for someone with your profile. Really focus on that story!

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask for help and advice from our BTG community throughout your MBA journey. We all can't wait to see your success through this process!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school