Part time MBA for career switchers

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Part time MBA for career switchers

by pink_08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 pm
I am Planning on a career change from Engineering to Sports industry. (Aside from work, I'm very involved into sports from childhood and I;m an athlete ). I have a work experience of 5 years.

My question is - Would part time MBA consider applicants who have alternate career plans . The part time schools that I am considering are Haas, Booth ...

Though I'm aware full time is the best option for career switchers, due to family circumstances I'm unable to pursue in those fronts. Please let me know your views

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm
Dear pink_08,

Part-time MBA programs are not designed for folks wanting to make significant career changes; however, more and more part-time MBA students are desiring career services and looking to use the MBA program to redirect their careers. While it is not impossible to make a career transition, it is a bit more of a challenge and you want to find the right part-time program for you as there is great variance in the resources available to part-time MBA students in this regard. Be sure to research what career services are available and be realistic in your expectations. Since you will not be able to do an internship or have that clean break on your resume, nor the time to devote to a job search while in school and working full-time, you might have to wait and start your job search once your degree is finished. You will want to be sure and select a program that continues to offer some assistance to you after graduation and where there are strong connections to the sports industry. With such a significant change, networking will be critical for you in your job search--being able to sell yourself and demonstrating how your past experience will transfer to the new industry/function--so it is imperative you have a good alumni network and company connections as a place to start.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pink_08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm
Thanks Lisa for the detailed explanation.
What you said is so true and aligns with the data that I had..

In 2011 , I'm planning to switch to part time job. I might start my networking or perhaps a second part time job with some small sports startups...I 'm already in the lookout.

My question is more towards the admission comittee- Would a career swich application stand a good chance for part time MBA- especially chicago -Booth.. Or is it a red flag...Will the ad-com not offer my admission just because of this reason

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:31 pm
Wanting to make a career change is not a reason to reject an otherwise qualified applicant. However, it will lead to questions around why you are applying to part-time instead of full-time. So, you will want to address that in your essays and your interview, even if not asked explicitly, to ensure the admissions committee understands your rationale for the program choice. I think pursuing some part-time or internship options in the sports industry is a good idea to start redirecting your resume.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by allensmith1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 am
Are you looking for a new challenge in your career? Perhaps a better job or opportunity to use your MBA learning?
Do you wish you could find a quick and simple way of finding these jobs, without compromising your privacy?
Or are you relatively happy in your current job, but would like to stay informed of new MBA jobs and other opportunities as they arise?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then MBAmatch is a service designed especially for you.
MBA Careers

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Ttt

by DavidMike » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 am
pink_08 wrote:I am Planning on a career change from Engineering to Sports industry. (Aside from work, I'm very involved into sports from childhood and I;m an athlete ). I have a work experience of 5 years.

My question is - Would part time MBA consider applicants who have alternate career plans . The part time schools that I am considering are Haas, Booth ...

Though I'm aware full time is the best option for career switchers, due to family circumstances I'm unable to pursue in those fronts. Please let me know your views
Part-time MBA is most useful to grow in the current career & grab more opportunities. If you have the relevant experience then part-time MBA is the better option. For career switchers, it is worth if they have a network to get into the career. Because MBA is all about the professional networking, one who has relevant work experience can get placed easily with the help of the professional network. Internship other part adds value to the CV. You might not get internship opportunities with part-time MBA, so check all the possibilities before enroll it. Be sure to research what career services are available and be realistic in your expectations.