Profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation

by piren » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:53 pm
Dear Stacy,

I figured I'd just fire off and ask you if you think my profile is good enough to get me a seat in a premier b-school (at this stage, I'm mainly thinking about INSEAD, but I will probably end up applying to others).

I'm 29 years old, holding since 2000 a MSc in Management (5 years degree) from a leading Belgian university (GPA ~4, graduated in the top 15% of the class) and since 2002 a MA in International Relations.

I started my career at an US firm, leader in management consulting. After only 8 months, I was offered a position as a financial analyst in the CEO office of a local investment advisory company leading the Belgian market. At the same time, I was studying for the MA in International Relations mentioned above.

I left my second job after 1 year, because I took the diplomatic exam organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ranked 2nd on a mere 1500 candidates, and was subsequently offered a position as a young diplomat. I remained in this position for two years. Afterwards, I decided for personal and professional reasons that I did not want to go for the entire diplomatic career.

I had always been attracted by public affairs and lobbying, even more so given my mixed background (public and private sector) which is not very common here. I then took a position of manager in the leading European public affairs consultancy --this is where I am since more than 1 year and a half now. Clients I have been working for in this job include several blue-chip corporations in all industries. My day-to-day responsibilities include client management, strategic counselling to them in the field of public affairs, intelligence gathering, monitoring, and direct representation and lobbying. The job involves a lot of client facing as well as direct contacts with high ranked public officials. Total experience so far: 6 years (just under 7 years at the planned beginning of my MBA).

As far as the GMAT is concerned, it is scheduled for mid-September and I'm currently reviewing it. Practice test scores range from 680 to 740 and I hope to be able to secure a 700+ when the real test comes.

My main concern is my career path. It seems pretty consistent to me, because I always was attracted by both private and public sectors, but I probably changed jobs a little too often. Do you think this could prevent me from securing a seat at INSEAD for instance ? Which points in my profile do you see as positive and which ones as negatives, which ones should I put emphasis on ?

Any feedback you'd be able to give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Piren.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:36 am
Your experience sounds great, and there is nothing about it that will prevent you from being admitted to a top school. However, you will have to make sense out of all of your career changes and help the ad comm see it the way that you do - "consistent".

I would definitely highlight your passion for the public sector, as this is less common in MBA applicants. Also, you seem to have a lot of great client interaction, and speaking roles, which you can highlight to show the following strengths:
- self confidence
- maturity
- relationship management
- leadership

You need to demonstrate that you have moved forward in your career and responsibilities and not just switched around, staying at the same level over the past six years. Have you managed people or projects? If so, you should discuss this.

Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me