MBA Profile evaluation Request (Applying in 2019 for Co2021)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everyone, I plan to apply for B-schools in 2019 i.e. will join in 2020. It would be great if I could receive some advice/assessment for my upcoming B-School applications:

Nationality: Indian
Degree: Undergrad in Engineering (B.E. in Computer Science) from BITS Pilani

GPA: 9.56/10 (top-5 of class) also Merit-Scholarship recipient for the entire studies
GMAT: 730 (Q: 50 | V: 36 | IR: 7 | AWA: 6)

Work Experience: 2 Years at the time of application (3 at the time of joining) in a cloud technology company (Nutanix Inc. based in San Jose)
1.Lead and owner for 3 products.
2. 1 promotion already, expecting one more in July-Aug 2019, i.e. just before applying

Post MBA Career Choice: Technology (Microsoft/Google/Amazon/etc.)

Extracurricular: 2 major activities during studies (both in leadership roles managing 30+ people)

Volunteer: Couple of volunteer opportunities
1. founding a new chapter for a NGO and leading it.
2. working as a product manager at a open-source organisation.

It would be great to get some advice on chances at the schools mentioned below (ambi/mod/safe).

Harvard (MS/MBA)
MIT (LGO)
Kellog (MMM)
Insead
LBS
Ross
Tepper (Technology Management Track)
McCombs
Foster
Anderson

Thank you very much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:25 pm
You've got some good stuff here! Great numbers: super GPA/GMAT. For work experience,two years is relatively low, but won't necessarily hurt you. Top business schools have been attracted to younger and younger applicants. Also the fact that the company is international, and that you will have at least one promotion. are definite assets to your strategy.
Goals: tech leadership - realistic but also predictable. What about long-term? Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Extracurricular: I need more information. For HBS, extracurricular leadership, both in undergrad and in the community after graduation, would be the deal-maker/breaker. Overall your leadership experience is unclear, as is the 'impact-the-world' vision so crucial to top MBA programs. So with the information I have, I'm not seeing HBS, but I'm not ruling it out either - I just don't have enough information. Just on instinct, I'm also not seeing INSEAD or LBS, unless you have specific reasons for studying and working in Europe. Again, not ruling it out, I just don't have enough information.

I do see MIT, Kellogg's MMM, Anderson and Tepper ; other lower-ranked schools in the second round. I'm curious why Berkeley Haas isn't on your list.
How many schools? Let's say four in the first round, but all well-researched: ideally, I would recommend flying out to the US to visit the schools, preferably while classes are in session rather than over the summer. Give yourself a balance of stretch vs safe schools, say one reach, two moderate and one safe, and know everything about all of them.

With solid application infrastructure and a good, well-researched strategy, you should do well with the schools on your list!

Good luck,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me