Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Chicago

Basics about me:
27 Years old
Black American Male

Academics:

3.5 GPA (state school)
700 GMAT (Q: 46; V: 40)

Work Experience:
Corporate Finance at a Top 20 Fortune 500 company. A lot of quantitative and strategic work. I demonstrate strong growth since I started working (pay and title and responsibility)

Volunteer experience:
Four years of mentor experience

I am applying Round 1 this year. What are my chances for either Wharton or Columbia? I understand Harvard is a strong reach with this profile, but am I competitive for any of the other schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 am
Hi there! The big challenge that I see in your post is that quant score -- we'd love to see it up around 48, 49 for most of these schools. Your chances aren't absolutely hopeless with a 46Q, but the burden will be on you to prove your quant creds through your application, resume, and especially recommendations.

There might also be challenges, or assets, that I don't see in your post: ironically, HBS wouldn't be a stretch for you because of the quant score; they're more open-minded than other schools about GMAT, if your leadership is awesome. But that missing leadership information might be a big issue: mentorship is good, but HBS tends to be most attracted to applicants who have large-scale, impactful team leadership in the community or university. Some international vision is also a plus, so if you had a semester abroad or have been sent overseas for work, these would be important assets as well.

Remember, MBA admissions is a holistic process -- top business schools are looking for well-rounded applicants with strengths in a variety of areas. Many applicants get dinged every year with a 770 GMAT, just because they don't bring anything else to the table. Your job as an applicant will be to strengthen your profile in as many areas as possible. Retaking the GMAT wouldn't hurt, but also enhancing your community, international and leadership profiles in advance of application would add as much value or more.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by MargaretStrother » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 am
Hi there! The big challenge that I see in your post is that quant score -- we'd love to see it up around 48, 49 for most of these schools. Your chances aren't absolutely hopeless with a 46Q, but the burden will be on you to prove your quant creds through your application, resume, and especially recommendations.

There might also be challenges, or assets, that I don't see in your post: ironically, HBS wouldn't be a stretch for you because of the quant score; they're more open-minded than other schools about GMAT, if your leadership is awesome. But that missing leadership information might be a big issue: mentorship is good, but HBS tends to be most attracted to applicants who have large-scale, impactful team leadership in the community or university. Some international vision is also a plus, so if you had a semester abroad or have been sent overseas for work, these would be important assets as well.

Remember, MBA admissions is a holistic process -- top business schools are looking for well-rounded applicants with strengths in a variety of areas. Many applicants get dinged every year with a 770 GMAT, just because they don't bring anything else to the table. Your job as an applicant will be to strengthen your profile in as many areas as possible. Retaking the GMAT wouldn't hurt, but also enhancing your community, international and leadership profiles in advance of application would add as much value or more.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by MargaretStrother » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 am

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant

Learn more about me