Need Advice-GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Need Advice-GMAT

by ashley.af.johnson » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm
Hello

I have been studying for the GMAT for the several months and I haven't seen much improvement. On my first official test i received a 390 (May 2017). That score I wasn't surprised by, however i have been studying steadily since and recently took two practice exams (450-Oct 2017, 430 -Nov. ) Since the October date I have added tutoring sessions as well. I am taking another official test on Wednesday. Realistically I know moving from a 430 to a mid 500 within a week (three days from now) is far fetch and I want to know is it feasible for me to apply for the January Consortium date and get in? My top schools that I am looking at are Indiana, Michigan, Dartmouth , UVA and Maryland. I have a 3.81 GPA from University of South Carolina in Sports Management. I have been with my company since graduating for seven years where I have moved up from a intern to a Regional Manager. I am steadily working on the other parts of my application and feel that I am a strong candidate if it wasn't for this poor GMAT score. This week I plan on sending my recommenders my info sheet but I don't want to get into a situation where I waste anyone's time either. Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Ashley Johnson

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 pm
Wow, that's a tough one, Ashley. Your GMAT scores aren't in range for most of the schools on your list, even though you sound like a qualified candidate in other respects. Indiana, the lowest-ranked program on your list, doesn't give evidence of accepting anything less than 500. So what should you do if you can't score at a competitive level on these tests, but you still dream of a top MBA?
Well, you've got a couple of options. One is to switch to the GRE, which some people find more user-friendly, and in any case isn't as broadly tracked statistically. Another is to apply to schools that don't require a GMAT score at all: there are a few top full-time programs that don't, and several EMBA or part-time programs that don't. Some will require a waiver application, and you'd want to focus on how your strong professional profile justifies omitting this test requirement.
Consortium can provide significant support for under-represented applicants, but test scores still matter at most top programs. So getting in to a top-20 MBA program with a 400 GMAT is pretty far-fetched; however, getting into a program that doesn't require a GMAT score at all, given your biographical details and excellent GPA, might be doable.
I know this isn't the news you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

-

by Willikinnadog » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:43 am
wire size will be your problem with reusing an old outlet. it depends on amperage of the dryer vs mig welder or compressor. i dont know the size of line you would need for that either. i just know you have to match the line size to what you are running.