Best recommender

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Best recommender

by gautamaya » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:04 am
Hi Stacy,

I really appreciate the time and effort you devoted in answering our questions.

I worked in a multinational corporation for 5 years prior to co-founding a nonprofit organisation half a year ago.

I’m thinking about obtaining my recommendation from the following:
1st and 2nd recommenders: My ex-superiors in the multinational I used to work for.
3rd recommender: Sponsor for one of my projects for the non-profit I am currently running.

Questions:
1) I do not have a superior for the non-profit I am running. Among the people I can approach are a) the people who benefited from our projects, b) sponsors, c) The other co-founder. In your opinion, who could be the best candidate? All these people have known me equally long.

2) Or is it best to include 2 recommenders from my current company or 1 from my previous company?

3) I’m worried that the admissions committee may find me unsuitable as I’m deciding to go to business school barely half a year after I co-founded the fast-expanding non-profit. I understand it really depends on the way I explain it but is it really detrimental to my application in anyway at all?

Thank you so much Stacy.
my name is jer

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:44 pm
Which schools are you applying to? Most schools only require 2 letters. In the past, Stanford has asked for a third from a peer. Your co-founder would be perfect for that letter. In the event you are required to submit three letters (HBS is one school that asks for three), I suggest that you use two from your previous job, and one from your current non-profit. I am not sure what you mean by "sponsor". Depending on what that is, sponsor could be a good option, or your co-founder. Unless the people that have benefitted from your work could comment on the way you are running the business, your leadership and management skills, I would steer away from them.

Regarding your final question - you are right - it all depends on how you explain. I assume you have a good reason for wanting to go back to school now. If you can convey that to the admissions committee, you should be fine.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Reply: Recommenders

by gautamaya » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:49 am
Hi Stacy,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'm sorry I did not make it clear on my last posting.

1) "Sponsor" is actually my client. So between a client and co-founder, who is a better recommender? Both have known me for more than 3 years (even though the nonprofit was started 1/2 yr ago) and can commend equally well on my leadership, management skills and as a person. Many of the MBA guides have commented that clients or supplier are the best in the case of self-employed...I was wondering if they considered the case where there's a co-founder, like in my case.

2) So for schools that require 2 recs, should i ask 1 from ex-direct supervisor in the MNC and 1 from my current nonprofit i co-founded 1/2 yr ago? or both from my ex-supervisors in the MNC (where I worked for 5 yrs)?

Thank you so much for your help.
my name is jer

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:58 am
I would go with the sponsor.

If you only have two recs, do two from your old job and perhaps a more informal side letter from your current position.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

co-founder s reco?

by aim-wsc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:41 am
i know case varies person to person, so i should post it in a separate thread....

dear madam,

but i think i hv a bit similar case.
I hv also set up a firm. & m having trouble finding good recomemdors. (As i never worked for anybody). My partner was my Engg college friend, so is it wise to ask him ( as he is my partner and we founded this company together) to write a recommendation for me.
It sounds very unacceptable; he is just 25 years old ...& to make things worse he s my friend... so Adcom wont just take it.
what do you think. please help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:36 pm
Your partner would not be an ideal choice. What are your other options? Investors, clients, mentors, business partners at other companies, possibly employees...
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:07 am
[quote="Stacy Blackman"]Your partner would not be an ideal choice. What are your other options? Investors, clients, mentors, business partners at other companies, possibly employees...[/quote]

thanks for the advice.
i ll work upon it.