Alternative Transcript Course Suggestion

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Alternative Transcript Course Suggestion

by jesseh7 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am
Hi all,

I am working on an alternate transcript and would appreciate guidance on taking Calculus 1 or a Math for Management type course. I did poorly in stats, business stats, and intro to calc(business calculus) in undergrad. I have so far re-taken stats, and two accounting courses and got A's. Should I take Calculus 1 now, or a Mathematics for Management course that might have some statistics overlap, but would also overlap the business stats class I did poorly in as well?

Appreciate any guidance/suggestions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 am
Opinions are mixed on this issue, both from the consulting side and from admissions conversations I've had or seen. But it sounds like you've already strengthened your stats knowledge and gotten the grades to support that, so calculus would be next on your list. You have multiple goals in taking graded courses like these: first, of course, to provide an alternative to low undergraduate grades. But second is to gain skills you know that you will really need as an MBA student -- the more sincere you are about that, the better it will work out. A third benefit that I've noticed is that people who take serious graded courses do better in the quant section of the GMAT as well. So whichever direction you choose, you're doing the right thing by taking this on.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me