Profile Evaluation !!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation !!

by Abhijitam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:13 pm
Hi ,
Can you please help me to Evaluate my profile and school fitment.

Nationality : Indian Male
Gmat : 730

Undergrad : Bachelor in Nautical science ,GPA -73%
work Experience after Undergrad : Worked in merchant navy(Navigating officer) for good 5 years- International experience , sailed across multiple countries, worked with people from different nationalities . Majority of the work ex is on chemical tankers shipping toxic chemicals across US and Europe .

Post-grad : PGDM from XLRI- Finance (among-st top B-schools in India ) Graduated in 2014 .

Post grad work Ex: Investments in Healthcare space (Hospitals, Pharma , Med-tech)
present role : Short stint with a Healthcare focused Private equity firm (Interned recently for 3 months), Financial modeling, Due Diligence of the target asset and assisting legal and Financial consultants in DD stage , Pre-closure and Post closure negotiations . Project coordinator for a 500 bed Hospital set up in Delhi- Launched successfully last year (Project Cost - USD 77 Mn)

Total Work ex - 7 Years

Extra- Curricular activities - Was a part of 3 member team who launched an education related App to help govt schools to streamline their course curricular and provide a focused and track able course content for their teachers. Was adopted by lot of schools offering coursework to underprivileged kids and was allowed by the Govt of west Bengal, India to do as a pilot for a district in the state funded schools.

Apart from above listed detail , I do have some extra curricular activities also to showcase but not that great .

Post MBA goal - Investment space in South Asia and South -east asia region.

Target school : Insead , London Business school .
Stretch - Harvard/ Wharton / Stanford but i am not sure how well i fit in HWS.

Please let me know or guide me is my profile competitive for the schools mentioned . should i look for other schools as well that are similar to Insead and London Business school .

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am
What an interesting profile! Top business schools will be attracted to your diversity of experience and especially the international exposure from your work in the merchant navy, but will want to know why you made what appears to be a complete leap to another industry (healthcare investment and project management). So your first challenge will be making a coherent story out of all of these strong but seemingly unrelated elements.

You're helped by the fact that your GMAT and GPA are super. For HSW, you might be a bit past the optimum age range, but I can certainly see you applying to Wharton anyway.

In terms of goals, I'd love to see you stay in the healthcare investment space, if that could fit with your aspirations. It would help tie your story together, add specificity to your post-MBA vision, and it's a very appealing profile these days. This is something you'll want to work on more closely with a consultant when you start your applications.

Outside of INSEAD and LBS, both good fits for you, I could see you applying to some other US schools, including Columbia, Tuck and Duke, and possibly also USC Marshall, which has a special relationship with the ASEAN market.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me