Getting into Haas Part-Time MBA possible?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Age - 34
Gender - Female from India
Full-Time Undergraduate in Computer Engineering from a top 10 engineering program.
GPA - 2.87

Part-Time Masters in Computer Science while working full-time - University of Colorado
GPA - 3.7

GMAT score - 640 (Q 41, V 38)

Full-Time Work Experience - 12 years

Moved into a Product Management role at a large tech firm after spending several years as an Engineering team lead at other large technology firms.

Current Title - Senior Product Manager
Base pay - $165,000
Base + Bonus - $195,000

I am looking to apply for Round 2/ Round 3 for the Part-Time MBA program at Haas Berkeley.

Waste of time or can I actually get in?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:19 pm
Interesting question -- your GMAT and GPA are on the low end of their spectrum, but they are at least on the spectrum, so I wouldn't automatically see your application as a waste of time. However, it will be an uphill climb, so you need to think about what things you can improve. GMAT? You might want to retake it; I'm guessing from your background that you can do better. Leadership? Goals? School visits/relationships? These are areas where you can harness your experience and professionalism, and really put together a strong case for yourself.

So, not a complete waste of time, no. Go into it with your eyes open, be realistic about your chances, and do absolutely everything you can to create the best possible application. This can happen for you, but you'd have to want it more than the competition, make it your #1 priority in life, and give it 110%+.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me