MiF/MFE Profile Review Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MiF/MFE Profile Review Request

by jaqenhghar » Tue May 10, 2016 9:46 am
Hello Stacy,

I'm seeking feedback on my profile for intake one year from now (Class of 2018), and I am specifically targeting three programs: Oxford MFE, LBS MiF, and Cambridge MiF. I'll keep my profile a bit generic as my experience is quite specific.

School: Studied Finance at a non-target university in Canada. 3.9/4.0 GPA (2nd in graduating class) after conversion (using the conversion method for medical school applications in Ontario - https://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf). Took econometrics and mathematics courses beyond what was required for a Finance degree and received grades ranging from 3.7-4.0. During school, I held various roles on the student investment fund (mostly leadership roles and now a mentor for active members), was a teaching assistant for business courses, was part of management for a finance club, and volunteered at several business conferences.

GMAT: 700 - Q49/V35/IR7/AWA6. Wrote it while in undergrad and am prepared to re-write if need be.

Work experience: 1 year as an investment banking analyst at a boutique investment bank in Canada. Small team has allowed me to take on associate-level responsibility in comparison to an IB analyst at a bulge bracket. I have worked on a number of transactions that have closed, working closely with senior management in the firm and taking part in all aspects of the transactions from idea generation through to execution and closing. Recently, have taken on a bit more of a leadership role with the addition of a new member to the banking team.

Extracurriculars: Besides those mentioned in the school section and my hobbies (traveling, exercise, photography, baking), I don't have much charitable or community involvement.

Awards: Only school related - 2 awards for performance in finance courses, 1 award for finishing in 1st percentile of graduating class.

Other: In my spare time, aside from m hobbies, I write reports analyzing companies I am interested in. I'm also a CFA Level 3 candidate.

Why MFE/MiF?: I enjoy finance and I really enjoyed the more complicated and analytical based courses in university. I want to specifically focus on finance rather than finance plus all the other courses MBAs offer. I would like to make a transition to a more research-based role in a money management firm after the program, and feel this continued experience is very valuable. I also want to make the move to London and feel as though the school program would be a great opportunity to quickly build my network in London and facilitate that transition.

Overall, I feel I have a decent GMAT and strong academic experience (CFA + GPA) although at an unknown school. I see my extra curriculars as a weak spot. By the time of my application, I'll qualify for the required 2 years of experience at Cambridge and LBS. My work experience is good for Oxford (no work experience requirement), but probably light for LBS and Cambridge.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue May 17, 2016 6:17 am
Hi Jaqenhghar,
Great that you're working on getting this information now! You will have a year to crank up any weak areas and to get to know each program better.

Quick response here: "minimum" work experience is probably not going to be your strongest approach. LBS's MiF, for example, has an average work experience of five years, so while some people are accepted with two years, you're setting yourself up at a competitive disadvantage if you rush into this. Your GMAT is right at their median, and high for Oxford and Cambridge, so in that respect you're fine. Extracurriculars are less important for these programs, although you should certainly use the next year to add some significant community involvement, preferably a leadership role.

So, how to stand out from the pack? You're numbers are good, your work experience is a bit low, and your extracurricular profile is kind of neutral. My strongest advice would be to apply in two years rather than one year, and really put down some roots in your job and your community. Find a leadership profile that will help differentiate you from others, and also fly out to each school and visit the campus while classes are in session, to get a feel for the personality of each community and what matters most to them. The more you weave yourself into the life of the school you're applying to, the better your chances.
If you choose to apply in one year, I think you will be competitive but a bit on the outside edge of the dartboard. You'll need some strong essays and clear goal targets to inch your way into the bulls-eye.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me