Hello Stacey , Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Hello Stacey , Please evaluate my profile

by neelGMAT » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:50 pm
Hi, Stacy.
I am a PhD candidate in Biochemistry and Biophysics at the Univeristy of Rochester Medical School. I am currently preparing to take the GMAT, and am trying to find a best fit school for my background and profile. I would like to target the top 5-10 schools in US, Wharton being my dream school since it is best known for health care. Biotechnology oriented schools would be best suited for me, although I donot know which ones are the best ones.

I have an excellent academic record in school, in college (second rank holder with Honors) and in Masters ( Univeristy topper). I have a Masters in Science from UoR as well. The school does not report the GPA for Grads but my GPA is ~ 3.7
However, I am concerned about the lack of substantial or lets say relevant work experience. I have over a year of work experience on clinical and biomedical research setting. I was awarded a Novartis science foundation fellowship.I worked for Novartis, Switzerland for around 6 months but that was as a prospective graduate student. I have been working in one of the best labs in its field and have published two technical papers in peer reveiwed, highly regarded, journals.

At this stage I think that my research is restricted to highly skilled audience. Although the questions I answer are interesting they I feel would not contribute towards biomedical research in a way I would have liked. I feel MBA would provide me means to broaden my horizons in a way that I would be able to apply my technical skills to bring beneficial research to the forefront and hopefully be of benefit to a larger population that just the curiosity of some elite scientists. The challenge is will I be able to do this.

I have tried to enrich my life ( its a diplomatic way of saying that I have enjoyed it :) ) , I have climbed the highest peak in NY for instance ( in the middle of December). I paint small miniatures which I sell on ebay and donate the money to ASHA ( charitable organization which sends money to India for child education). When I came to Rochester there was no student body which helped international students find accomodations and help settling, so I started a group which helped incoming Grad students. I am till date the coordinator for this group. I have also helped establish a non profit organization (ASHA chapter) in Rochester and I am one of the chapter coordinators. Grad Students are poor in this country but I have tried to work around it and keep my charitable work alive.

I come from a small Indian town but have a big dream. I want to be best educated and the best in what I do.

I have provided you with a outline of things I have been proud of in the past. Do you think one of the best schools in US will find me interesting enough to give me a chance in lifetime. What would you recommend me to do next to improve my chances.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:37 am
You are a strong candidate in many ways and I do believe you have a chance at a top school. However, you may be correct in thinking that your work experience is a weak point. This is not because it is not "business oriented". MBA programs welcome all kinds of backgrounds and a medical background can be very interesting and add to the diversity of your class. The challenge for you will be demonstrating leadership and teamwork within the solitary lab setting. Can you show that you accomplished things or exhibited traits that will be transferrable to a business setting? What about your prior experience can convince the adcomm that you are "future CEO" material? This is what you need to think about - either in work or outside activities - how did you act as a leader? If you do not have examples, you should do what you can over the next few months to generate examples. For example, involve others in your ASHA fundraising activities or teach a section at school. Starting the group for grad students is a very good start.
Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by neelGMAT » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:29 am
Hi Stacey
Thanks for your helpful insights. I did not mention it earlier in my post, but I should have mentioned. I started and am the coordinator of the Graduate student society for ~ 5 years now , that is all my graduate career. We are 150 strong and have a committee of 4 people who look after the day to day affairs. We deal with all issues related to incoming graduate students from health care to furniture to grocery shopping.

Along with one of my similar minded friends, I started a local chapter of ASHA around 2 years ago. There is a steering committee which looks in to the fund raising for ASHA. I am the chapter coordinator of this University of Rochester chapter. We alongwith an undergraduate organization at the UoR organized one of the largest undergraduate yearly events at the university and collected 3000 dollars for Tsunami relief.

I am working on a project that would install wind turbines in Rural schools in India so that children will have access to basic facilities and can find a place to study at night.

I have worked on a premise that even if during grad school I could fund education of a single child my charity work would be worthwhile. I am trying to establish the culture of charity work in Rochester as well so that incoming graduate students will have a platform to take the work forward.
I think I have achieved that goal we are around 10 volunteers at ASHA Rochester.

I am thinking of going ahead with the application this year and I got in touch with one of your consultants. Hopefully I will get to talk to you about the process.
Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:25 am
Sounds like some great activities/experiences that will make for very good essat material! Absolutely look forward to speaking with you further.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me