PhD SOP --Formidable terminologies? ...and 1 more Question

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,
1) How important is it to use business terminologies in an SOP (for PhD admission)? ---
I have read some formidable ( in terms of words used) Economics PhD SOPs available on the net. Even worse, some of the PhD theses on marketing have equally daunting titles. Don't the members of the admission committee get glazy-eyed when they face such SOPs or are such SOPs the way to really impress those who matter?

2)How does one manage to strike a balance between not being too specific about the intended topic of research (I mean, the admission committee could end up thinking that the particular topic could run into methodology issues)...and not being too general eg, "I want to do my PhD thesis on Advertising and Persuasion" (The admission committee could end up thinking, "Yes, but so would a hundred others!")?

Thanks for any input!

Shilo

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:25 pm
Dear Shilo,

I wish I could be of assistance here, but my expertise is in MBA admissions not PhD. Wishing you the best of luck on your applications--business schools are currently facing a bit of a shortage in faculty.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by shilotilo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:39 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thank you, anyway.

:)

Shilo

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:45 pm
Shilo,

As someone who once strongly pondered a PhD program, here is what I have to tell you based on my own research, interviews with professors, and PhD students.

As you already know, your SOP is the most important piece of your application; it might be second to your GMAT/GRE score.

I would say that your SOP should be specific enough to narrow down the area of topics you would potentially explore. More importantly, however, you will want to emphasize why you believe that exploring a given topic or area is of importance.

There may be new trends that are just beginning to show a potential new direction, and therefore make your intended area of study unique. If that is the case, you should absolutely state this in your SOP.

You should also, if possible, show how your intended research path is compatible with what some of the professors are exploring in their own research. Remember, these professors could potentially become your PhD advisors and some of them will be on the committee reviewing your written and oral defense.

As for terminology, I would say that you should use it if it is necessary. For example, if you would like to conduct research of organizational dynamics using complexity theory, and would apply network analysis in your assessment of structurally coordinated actions among firm-level agents... then you should say so.

If you feel that some terminology is so specific as to take away from the overall clarity, then you should avoid using it and try to come up with a more widely understood word or expression.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
shilotilo wrote:
Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 pm

1) How important is it to use business terminologies in an SOP (for PhD admission)? ---
I have read some formidable ( in terms of words used) Economics PhD SOPs available on the net. Even worse, some of the PhD theses on marketing have equally daunting titles. Don't the members of the admission committee get glazy-eyed when they face such SOPs or are such SOPs the way to really impress those who matter?
Yes, business terminologies in PhD admission matter for members of the admission committee. Actually this is a criterion by which they estimate your work and give you credits. If you are not sure how to write it, you have to write it together with academic writers from services. They will help you edit and do all work on a paper.